Discussion Board

A point in the direction of a simple Non-GUI app ?

Hi all,

I appreciate your help here. I'ts very gratefully received everytime I have an issue. I'm Very New to C++ and even newer to Symbian and I'm looking for an example App that is NON GUI that I can understand and that I can easily make listen for incoming phone calls and SMSs ?

I'm pretty lost when it comes to the examples as they assume knowledge I do not possess. As well it doesnt help that I need a non visual App as a starting point and a simple one I can begin to understand (being new to the language does not help! ) . So if anyone could please point me to a good sample that is not over complex for a non-visual/GUI app and if not too much trouble a small bit of help on how to implement the cTelephony class to listen for incoming calls I'd be grateful.

Thanks

fbp.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: A point in the direction of a simple Non-GUI app ?

Actually, in the end the GUI framework gives you loads of stuff that you would need. thus I would suggest just taking a helloworld example, and adding any things you need into it. Just ignore any additional complexity there, i.e. do not care of applciation or document class, and only modify the parts of the appui & container classes.

Re: A point in the direction of a simple Non-GUI app ?

Thanks, but at the end of the day I need an app that specifically does not have a GUI, that starts when the phone boots and monitors user making call and incoming calls & SMSs ? I'm bothered about doing this with a GUI app as a template in case I end up building something dependent upon a GUI. Sorry for being utterly stupid with this but I am not even familiar enough with appui & container classes?

I got Hello World console app compiled and running in emulator but moving to something a little more complex but still basic enough that I understand what I can and cannot use is kind-of what I'm looking for ?

Sorry for the long thread and thanks for your reply.

fbp