Discussion Board

Question Window frame issues with Nokia N8 default themes

Hello!

I am developing my first application with Qt for Symbian (using Qt 4.6.3 and Qt SDK from Nokia) and have encountered the following problem when testing on Nokia N8: edges of the window frames are corrupted. The problem is not appearing on a 5th edition device (5230). Most probably this is related to the fact that the window corners in the N8 theme are rounded and transparent. However they are not drawn transparent. The problem appears in message boxes, menus and dialog windows.

I tried to use a stylesheet for the dialog windows but this leads to rectangular windows with black background regardless of the current theme and even this bad workaround is not available for the message boxes and the menus.

Any ideas?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Window frame issues with Nokia N8 default themes

Transparent dialog corners won't work with Qt/openVg running on N8. The issue is known (Symbian window server won't support semi-transparent surfaces anymore in Sym^3) and is currently worked around in Qt.

Thank you for the reply and clarification!

Oh well, another dissapointment with Qt! At the end I ended up doing the whole UI by myself - I had to implement kinetic scrolling, menus/dialogs/message boxes backgrounds and frames, etc. The Qt looks promising but frankly, right now, it is almost unusable as an application framework for the Symbian platform. Fortunately, my application does not require a lot of UI but my development experience so far was rather painful.

Regards!

Nokia Developer Expert

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. We are working on it.

The dialogs should have proper semi-transparency support in 4.7.2 (see http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-14400).

Thank you - this certainly is good news and Qt DOES look promising. I hope that as it is now officially declared as the main API for Symbian development, it will get much more stable and usable.

Super Contributor

DEFINITELY report this as multiple bugs on the Qt JIRA.
    http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

An issue as large as this one will prolly be fixed by 4.7.2.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Still not fixed with Qt 4.7.3. It is hard to believe that this issue is not being considered as important. Qt is very flexible but it MUST be possible to use the native style UI without seeing such ugly UI artifacts.

Now additional issue appeared with the context menus - there is a separator line under each item, which is ok but there must not be a line under the last item. This looks ugly and is different than the style of the native Symbian menus.