Discussion Board

Orientation after taking picture on N8

Hello,
    I have a midlet which takes a picture (I use a canvas) and then switches back to a form (I stop the camera player after taking picture). After it returns to form, on N8, screen orientation cannot be changed anymore (using auto-rotate) and the midlet gets stuck in landscape mode. On older phones (N87, N95) auto-rotate works. Any idea how to switch back to portrait mode after opening camera?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Orientation after taking picture on N8

Hi,

In N8 (Symbian^3) camera player is always displayed in landscape. While camera viewfinder is displayed then orientation is in landscape. I think you have to close camera with player.close() rather than player.stop().
    Can you provide some more details about the problem? Maybe some code snippet.

Nokia Developer Expert

To be more specific, here is clip from soon to be released documentation about camera viewfinder: "From JRT 2.1 onwards, UI orientation is forced to landscape mode when the camera player is realized (Player in state REALIZED). The orientation remains in landscape mode until the camera player is closed. (Player in state CLOSED)"

Thanks for the answer. You are right, closing the camera solves the orientation problem. The downside is that I have to initialize the camera every time I switch to the camera screen (and close it when I exit the screen).