Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Developing with Qt on C7-00

Hi,

I got a C7-00 hoping to do develop some apps and migrate my existing apps from 5th edition. While I love the phone as an end user, unfortunately, I ended up with lots of problems as a developer.

1. I've tried to update Qt on C7, but got a message that Qt is not updateable - perhaps only reflashing the phone with a new ROM could do it?

2. My Qt apps - which work just fine on 5th edition phones - either crash on startup or very shortly after starting (e.g. after the splash screen). I've increased the heap in .pro but this didn't help.

3. Debugging with Qt creator doesn't work with my C7. The app gets started but the PC side debugger exits immediately. I've reinstalled Qt creator and debug agent several times without luck. BTW, debugging works fine on my 5th edition phones.

4. None of my Symbian C++ apps written for 5th ed work as they are, so I tried recompiling with S^3 SDK. After a lot of fiddling I can now compile them, however, it turns out I can't build them fully because building help files is not supported in SDK 0.9. Any updates on this?

After 10 years of Symbian development, this is perhaps the least stable setup I've seen, particularly Nokia S^3 SDK 0.9. A whole week of setting everything up and trying to build & test didn't yield much success.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Developing with Qt on C7-00

Now updated version of all tools are available.....

You can see the tools available to make an application for C7 : http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...cations/C7-00/

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    Now updated version of all tools are available.....

You can see the tools available to make an application for C7 : http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...cations/C7-00/

Best regards,
    I don't see anywhere in that link that would help ivanlitovski with his problems. Are you sure you got the right link? The major problem that the Qt SDK has is that Qt Mobility 1.1 and Qt 4.7 can't be installed on the C7 since it doesn't match the signatiures that the sis files were signed with. I have tried to install the packages into the phone but they don't seem to work. Also, Symbian Signed doesn't seem to support the C7's IMEI which makes things even more annoying. Is there any documentation out there to fix all of this?

Regular Contributor

I've got pretty much everything up to date, and I am checking for updates pretty much daily...

Qt Creator now reports "General OS Related Error" when I try to run the app on C7. Tried to rebuild with several versions of Qt with same result.

Regular Contributor

Ok, I got (some) things going. Here is how:

1. No way to update without rom flashing

2. This was fixed by removing all heap and stack size settings. I did do quite a few other bits, but this was the one that made a difference. More investigation needed to see exactly which settings would work.

3. For larger binaries, debugging only works if you add MMP_RULES workaround described here: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTCREATORBUG-2158

4. Still no joy with this, but I didn't spend any further time on this.

Now I can run and debug my Qt app, though lots more problems have surfaced. Any use of QtWebKit crashes the app. Some QGraphicsItem instances don't show up. Yet it all works fine on simulator and 5th ed phones...

Super Contributor

The problem is ,your device having Qt version of 4.6.3....

And you are creating application using Qt 4.7 or latest ,,Which does not match each other,,and results in General OS related error.....
    You read this : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...n-to-Ovi-store

Best regards,

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    The problem is ,your device having Qt version of 4.6.3....

And you are creating application using Qt 4.7 or latest ,,Which does not match each other,,and results in General OS related error.....
    You read this : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...n-to-Ovi-store

Best regards,
    Don't know where you got this idea - I am using 4.6.3 throughout. In any case, Qt version has nothing to do with my only remaining problem which is Symbian C++ related.