Discussion Board

Help Please : unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier

hi,

I have just imported an existing project(VoIPTest project from http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...io_Service_API) which doesn't have PKG file so I have created a new PKG file manually as below :
    Code:
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN

; standard SIS file header
    #{"voiptest"},(0x10207BA7),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\voiptest.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\voiptest.exe"

{
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\voiptest.rsc"
    } -"!:\resource\apps\voiptest.rsc"
    and created a new sisx file, and then imported it into my device, but while was trying to install it, at the end of the installation it got the following error :

Code:
    unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier

Please someone gimme a hint to solve the mentioned problem

(PS: I am using Carbide.c++.2.3, S60 5th Edition, N97)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Help Please : unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplie

That example is a strange one indeed, 0x1... UID (0x10207BA1) is unusual, the lack of .pkg too.
    Anyway, the generic signing rules apply: protected UID can not be self-signed, and checking the .mmp file also shows that the application uses MultimediaDD, WriteDeviceData and ReadDeviceData capabilities, they can not be self-signed either. Because of MultimediaDD, neither Open Signed Online would work (besides that it requires the ownership of protected UID-s).

Re: Help Please : unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplie

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    That example is a strange one indeed, 0x1... UID (0x10207BA1) is unusual, the lack of .pkg too.
    Anyway, the generic signing rules apply: protected UID can not be self-signed, and checking the .mmp file also shows that the application uses MultimediaDD, WriteDeviceData and ReadDeviceData capabilities, they can not be self-signed either. Because of MultimediaDD, neither Open Signed Online would work (besides that it requires the ownership of protected UID-s).
    Thanks for your reply,

So it means that I have downloaded an usual example? if so where I can find the appropriate VoIP_Audio_Service_API example?
    And you mean that if I sign my application then install it, my problem will get solved?

I tried to Sign my application, but Symbian Sign returns the following error :

Code:
    The .sis file contains capabilities that are not permitted for Open Signed (Online)
    FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not allocated to the account holder matching this email address (0x10207ba1 )
    FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not in the protected or test range (0x10207ba1). Open Signed Online only accepts UIDs from the ranges 0x2xxxxxxx and 0xExxxxxxx.

Yes, these are the errors I have predicted. There is no way to sign this application with Open Signed Online.

Yes, these are the errors I have predicted. There is no way to sign this application with Open Signed Online.
    So what should I do to run this application?

If you really need this API, you will have to apply for MultimediaDD capability. It requires getting some Publisher ID, but an Ovi developer account may be enough.

If you really need this API, you will have to apply for MultimediaDD capability. It requires getting some Publisher ID, but an Ovi developer account may be enough.
    How can I do that? you mean by registering in OVI Publisher Registration(https://publish.ovi.com/register/cou...d_account_type), I can solve my problem?

ovi free signing only accepts capabilities that could be signed with Express signed, AFAIK the MultimediaDD requires Certified Signing, thus only option would be to actually have a publicer ID and use symbian signed account for doing the Certified Signing.

True, I did not find http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/Ap...Symbian_Signed), but found it now.