Discussion Board

Question How to run swf on Nokia 3500c which doesnot have flashlite player

I am a Flash Developer and recently started developing for mobiles. My target audience are farmers who do not have high end phones. Acccording to my research i found most of them use Nokia 3500 classic. It doesnot have the flashlite player. I tried to install the flash lite player as i found a .sis file of the player, but it did not get installed, will widgets help? How to open .wgz file on that device?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to run swf on Nokia 3500c which doesnot have flashlite player

Sis files are for Symbian devices, and the device you mentioned is Series 40 device, i.e. it does not have symbian operating system. So try seeing whether there would be any options for installing the Flash player on Series 40 devices, and if not, then re-think the approach, and maybe try using java MIDP for your development instead of Flash.

Super Contributor

There is no way whatsoever to install any version of Flash Lite on a Series 40 based phone, if it doesn't have Flash Lite support in the firmware as it comes from the factory.

For Series 40 based phones without Flash Lite built-in, the only other option to develop apps that run on the device is to use Java. Otherwise, instead of an app that runs on the phone make a web site usable on the device through its web browser.

To find which Nokia models support which version of Flash Lite, go go http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...ns/?filter=all and there use the "or choose a criteria" field/list to choose different versions of Flash Lite to get a list of devices with that particular version.

Thanks for the reply..it really helped me..as i did not know that the device is Series 40...i was in a notion that it is Symbian...
    But i have a multimedia package developed in flash for which i am developing a mobile version also with the same animations and interactions which i customized for mobile phone.
    I works fine with phones with Flash Lite.. Is there a way like Sony's Project Capuchin for Nokia phones too but it should support older phones(with basic multimedia facilities)

Super Contributor

For Series 40, there is no way (nothing like Sony Ericsson's Project Capuchin, unless Nokia decides to support it. And even it does, then you'd still need the Flash Lite player to be on the device beforehand, as Project Capuchin allows you to use Flash for a Java app UI, but still requires that the device first supports both Java and Flash).

Yes as petrib says, even Project capuchin enables encapsulation of Flash into a Java app, but requires Flash and a specific Java runtime to be present on the device.
    So unfortunately, you can't target the 3500c with Flash lite.
    Twitter - manikantan_k
    Just in --

Thanks a lot for your replies....I tried a lot of Jarpa also with help of my friend who is into J2ME but it didn't help too...

I am planning to convert my swf to animated gif to be called in WML for older mobiles. Now i'll have to look at how I can convert my quizzes.. If any body has any suggestions or ideas plz let me know..People at this forum are really gr8