Discussion Board

Thread: PORTING

Regular Contributor

Question PORTING

Hi all,

I've got a question to you. I wrote an app in J2me. It's important that nearly every device supports it. So what can I do? Are there some intelligent porting ideas? I don't want to write my app twice.

Benni

Super Contributor

Re: PORTING

Only simple J2ME apps work as-is/unmodifed on "nearly every device". There are many differences in devices as far as which MIDP/CLDC -versions they support, as well has which other/additional JSRs they support, and whether they support only mandatory features or also optional features, and there are also differences in how the device manufacturers interpret what mandatory or optional means, etc.

Many game developers make tens, or hundreds of different versions/packages of their J2ME apps to get them to work on as many phone models as possible.

As to your question "what can I do": buy or borrow as many different devices as you can (see also the Forum Nokia RDA service) and test your app on all of them to see if it works or not. Search also this site and the internet for porting tips and assistance. Possibly, pay for a specialized company that does J2ME app porting/adaptation and testing for different devices.

Hi

As petrib told u can even go into this website to test u app freely with many devices

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/R...device_access/

Regards
    Kumarv75

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Only simple J2ME apps work as-is/unmodifed on "nearly every device". There are many differences in devices as far as which MIDP/CLDC -versions they support, as well has which other/additional JSRs they support, and whether they support only mandatory features or also optional features, and there are also differences in how the device manufacturers interpret what mandatory or optional means, etc.

Many game developers make tens, or hundreds of different versions/packages of their J2ME apps to get them to work on as many phone models as possible.

As to your question "what can I do": buy or borrow as many different devices as you can (see also the Forum Nokia RDA service) and test your app on all of them to see if it works or not. Search also this site and the internet for porting tips and assistance. Possibly, pay for a specialized company that does J2ME app porting/adaptation and testing for different devices.

just check ur CLDC & MIDP version.
    dont give fix size to any component
    thanks & Regards.
    Nilesh