50 days with Nokia N8
Am I happy ????
May be ???
Hi ! I m a qualified Physician (DOCTOR ) of Delhi , India and Symbian user since Nokia 6600 ( 2004 )
My progress is like 6600 --- N70-----N73----N95----N97---- NOKIA N8.
I got my Nokia N8 on 14th Oct 2010.
As Usual I started doing R&D on this since I m a tech Enthusiast.
Over the last 50 days I have experienced lots and lots of N8 and hence posting my experience.
I would divide it into hardware and software review.
Nokia N8 is a HARDWARE gem from Nokia
Good Processor, adequate RAM , USB OTG, good screen, good protected Aluminium case, Good Design.
That’s where List ends.
Lot and Lot of problems.
1. Hangs inevitably in a day or 2.
2. Screen goes blank when incoming call is there so I have to use side button (rocker switch ) repeatedly to get back the screen and caller information.
3. Does not connects to my home wifi network after continuous usage for 30 min. than I have to make N8 offline than again search and it some times catches it , otherwise I have to switch off my mobile (not the Linksys Router since my laptop continues to work normally connected to router)
4. Music will not download from Ovi Music store , file will start downloading and after showing 2 % or 5% it will hang.
5. Multitasking as advertised a lot is not smooth. RAM will show approx. 60 mb with 2 or 3 tasks open and it will hang after that.
6. RAM is not freed even after task is closed . it goes down with app but does not return to previous capacity after that task is closed.
7. Caller ID will not work some time ---- so I will not get callers name even if it is stored as single entry.
8. Since my SIM is provided to me as CUG no (CLOSED USER GROUP) sometimes N8 will not allow me to make a call. After lot of hassles in last 50 days , I somehow tricked this by setting phone and security options to CLOSED USER GROUP to OFF in menu and than switching it back to default after some time. I posted this question even in nokia forum but even there I did not received the solution.
9. Battery will drain in a days time with normal usage , what is expected of a smartphone. Checking mail 2 times on wifi and talking for 30 to 40 minutes.
10. Except for the camera, which I don’t use much , I do not see any great things in N8 to fall in love.
This is a TRUE review , since I m a great NOKIA fan and not happy with Nokia , first with N97 and than N8.
SOME VIDEOS about Hanging N8 and others.