Discussion Board

50 Days with NOKIA N8

50 days with Nokia N8
    Am I happy ????
    May be ???
    Hi ! I m a qualified Physician (DOCTOR ) of Delhi , India and Symbian user since Nokia 6600 ( 2004 )
    My progress is like 6600 --- N70-----N73----N95----N97---- NOKIA N8.
    I got my Nokia N8 on 14th Oct 2010.
    As Usual I started doing R&D on this since I m a tech Enthusiast.
    Over the last 50 days I have experienced lots and lots of N8 and hence posting my experience.
    I would divide it into hardware and software review.
    Nokia N8 is a HARDWARE gem from Nokia
    Good Processor, adequate RAM , USB OTG, good screen, good protected Aluminium case, Good Design.
    That’s where List ends.
    Software Problems-----
    Lot and Lot of problems.
    1. Hangs inevitably in a day or 2.
    2. Screen goes blank when incoming call is there so I have to use side button (rocker switch ) repeatedly to get back the screen and caller information.
    3. Does not connects to my home wifi network after continuous usage for 30 min. than I have to make N8 offline than again search and it some times catches it , otherwise I have to switch off my mobile (not the Linksys Router since my laptop continues to work normally connected to router)
    4. Music will not download from Ovi Music store , file will start downloading and after showing 2 % or 5% it will hang.
    5. Multitasking as advertised a lot is not smooth. RAM will show approx. 60 mb with 2 or 3 tasks open and it will hang after that.
    6. RAM is not freed even after task is closed . it goes down with app but does not return to previous capacity after that task is closed.
    7. Caller ID will not work some time ---- so I will not get callers name even if it is stored as single entry.
    8. Since my SIM is provided to me as CUG no (CLOSED USER GROUP) sometimes N8 will not allow me to make a call. After lot of hassles in last 50 days , I somehow tricked this by setting phone and security options to CLOSED USER GROUP to OFF in menu and than switching it back to default after some time. I posted this question even in nokia forum but even there I did not received the solution.
    9. Battery will drain in a days time with normal usage , what is expected of a smartphone. Checking mail 2 times on wifi and talking for 30 to 40 minutes.
    10. Except for the camera, which I don’t use much , I do not see any great things in N8 to fall in love.
    This is a TRUE review , since I m a great NOKIA fan and not happy with Nokia , first with N97 and than N8.

SOME VIDEOS about Hanging N8 and others.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 50 Days with NOKIA N8

The scope of this site has not changed since your last visit, http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...to-be-next-N97
    http://www.nokia.com/discussions is the place for discussion about phone models.

HI Dr Jamit, like you i am Nokia fan of 12 years but since receiving my N8 i have fallen out of love with Nokia - massive problems with sat nav/ ovi maps and no one seems to be able to fix it.. really fed up !!
    Quote Originally Posted by drjamit View Post
    50 days with Nokia N8
    Am I happy ????
    May be ???
    Hi ! I m a qualified Physician (DOCTOR ) of Delhi , India and Symbian user since Nokia 6600 ( 2004 )
    My progress is like 6600 --- N70-----N73----N95----N97---- NOKIA N8.
    I got my Nokia N8 on 14th Oct 2010.
    As Usual I started doing R&D on this since I m a tech Enthusiast.
    Over the last 50 days I have experienced lots and lots of N8 and hence posting my experience.
    I would divide it into hardware and software review.
    Nokia N8 is a HARDWARE gem from Nokia
    Good Processor, adequate RAM , USB OTG, good screen, good protected Aluminium case, Good Design.
    That’s where List ends.
    Software Problems-----
    Lot and Lot of problems.
    1. Hangs inevitably in a day or 2.
    2. Screen goes blank when incoming call is there so I have to use side button (rocker switch ) repeatedly to get back the screen and caller information.
    3. Does not connects to my home wifi network after continuous usage for 30 min. than I have to make N8 offline than again search and it some times catches it , otherwise I have to switch off my mobile (not the Linksys Router since my laptop continues to work normally connected to router)
    4. Music will not download from Ovi Music store , file will start downloading and after showing 2 % or 5% it will hang.
    5. Multitasking as advertised a lot is not smooth. RAM will show approx. 60 mb with 2 or 3 tasks open and it will hang after that.
    6. RAM is not freed even after task is closed . it goes down with app but does not return to previous capacity after that task is closed.
    7. Caller ID will not work some time ---- so I will not get callers name even if it is stored as single entry.
    8. Since my SIM is provided to me as CUG no (CLOSED USER GROUP) sometimes N8 will not allow me to make a call. After lot of hassles in last 50 days , I somehow tricked this by setting phone and security options to CLOSED USER GROUP to OFF in menu and than switching it back to default after some time. I posted this question even in nokia forum but even there I did not received the solution.
    9. Battery will drain in a days time with normal usage , what is expected of a smartphone. Checking mail 2 times on wifi and talking for 30 to 40 minutes.
    10. Except for the camera, which I don’t use much , I do not see any great things in N8 to fall in love.
    This is a TRUE review , since I m a great NOKIA fan and not happy with Nokia , first with N97 and than N8.

SOME VIDEOS about Hanging N8 and others.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2011-01-14 at 21:13. Reason: Opening bracket was mis-placed for the QUOTE tag.

The link in #2 also applies to your post.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by drdoolittle View Post
    HI Dr Jamit, like you i am Nokia fan of 12 years but since receiving my N8 i have fallen out of love with Nokia - massive problems with sat nav/ ovi maps and no one seems to be able to fix it.. really fed up !!
    Just wait for the new Firmware version...
    It has latest OVI maps and other functionality improved very well...(According from the news).

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by drdoolittle View Post
    Me too.....exactly the same problem.

I've been an ambassador for Nokia against all my colleagues with there 'I phones'.
    I bought my N8 as a Christmas present to myself, giving my trusty N82 to my wife....WORST THING I EVER DID.

I am close to throwing the N8 out of the window.

Ovi maps - when I can get it to stay on for more than 15 seconds (it keeps switching itself off and going back to the home screen) it keeps trying to connect with my network provider rather than WiFi (and YES I've checked, re-checked and re-re-checked the connection set-up).

WiFi - absolutely refuses to automatically switch between sites when I go from my office to my home. Only way I can get it to change is to switch off and switch on again.
    Then when I go to my local coffee shop, again refuses to connect. When I try to disconnect from 1 wifi site and connect to another, it just locks up!

If I try to go to the tools and settings (to check the wifi connection), the screen just locks up!

It's driving me nuts. What a heap of junk!!!!!!!!.......and YES I've re-loaded the latest software - 3 times so far - trying to sort this out.

camera flash is worse then my N82 (why bother with a 12mp camera then put a utterly useless flash?????)

UTTER GARBAGE.

It's only 2pm and I'm on my 3rd re-boot of the day!

Super Contributor

New firmware version was released. Just find Update Software from your mobile, and click on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    New firmware version was released. Just find Update Software from your mobile, and click on it.
    Oh yes, he seems to have done it already coz re-installing software option is only available when your firmware is up-to-date already.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdixon View Post
    Me too.....exactly the same problem.........YES I've re-loaded the latest software - 3 times so far - trying to sort this out.
    and Yes, the Post #2 reply applies to your issue too..

Good Luck!!