Discussion Board

Can't compile bare bones Qt Application - The process tried to write to a nonexistent

Hi

I downloaded the Symbian .9 SDK, along with Carbide 2.7. The project is simply called 'test'.

"perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\ export
    The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe."

Additionally, I'm getting errors relating to:
    ui_test.h. This is being included, yet has not been automatically created during the project creation.

The log output is below.

Any suggestions to how to fix this?
    Thanks

The log is below:

Working Directory: C:/Symbian/Carbide/workspace/test

***Invoking bldmake command
    perl.exe -S bldmake.pl bldfiles winscw

Total Time: 2 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\ export
    The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do

ui_test.h
    =======
    ***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\ makefile winscw Makefile_0xE349FE3F
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILEMAKEFILE_0XE349FE3F VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test -f "MAKEFILE_0XE349FE3F.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test\MAKEFILE_0XE349FE3F\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test PLATFORM=WINSCW MAKMAKE
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), \epoc32\tools\uic test.ui -o ui_test.h, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

make[2]: *** [ui_test.h] Error 2
    Last edited by stewarth01; 2010-12-12 at 14:55.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can't compile bare bones Qt Application - The process tried to write to a nonexis

'test' might be a keyword for some toolchain components, so it may be worth a try creating a new project with a different name.

Re: Can't compile bare bones Qt Application - The process tried to write to a nonexis

I tried creating a project called "abc123", to be sure...

I'm now getting compilation errors due the file "ui_abc123.h" missing. This file wasn't generated when Carbide created the project. Console output below...

What process actually creates the ui_abc123.h and associated files?

Anyway, I created this file myself manually.. just an empty file.

I'm now getting the same original error:

"***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\myProject\ makefile winscw Makefile_0xEB5BFB76
    The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\myProject\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILEMAKEFILE_0XEB5BFB76 VERBOSE=-s"

Thanks

Stewart

perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\abc123\ makefile winscw Makefile_0xECEEA09B
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\abc123\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILEMAKEFILE_0XECEEA09B VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\abc123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XECEEA09B.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\abc123\MAKEFILE_0XECEEA09B\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\abc123 PLATFORM=WINSCW MAKMAKE
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), \epoc32\tools\uic abc123.ui -o ui_abc123.h, ...) failed.

make[2]: *** [ui_abc123.h] Error 2
    Last edited by stewarth01; 2010-12-12 at 20:10.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi, I am sorry, but I missed an important aspect of your question on the first read. So there is a separate set of boards, where you can find better answers related to Qt, you can find them if you scroll a bit downwards on the DiBo starting page (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com)
    The thread is going to be moved there in a few minutes (into the "Qt for Symbian" board, but here ("Carbide.c++ IDE and plug-ins") you will also find a re-direct link, so it is going to be easy to find (and the actual link of the thread itself will not change, so you can re-use it too - the 215314 thing)

Super Contributor

I vaguely recall that your symptoms occur if you don't have all of the Carbide/SDK/whatnot components installed on the same drive.

In any event, it's sounds familiar as a configuration problem of one sort or another.

I'm not sure if its because I have the QT development tools installed as well. I'm going to create another Windows VM and try just installing Symbian / Carbide without QT.

I've created a new installation of windows 7..

Installed required software, on the C: Drive
    * Perl, correct version as per readme.txt
    * JDK 6.0
    * Symbian 0.9 Beta
    * Carbide 2.7

Created a barebones QT project and still doesn't compile.

Console log below...

QT Creator works fine for me but (1) the QT Simulator is very poor (2) QT Creator is very basic compared to Carbide ( Eclipse ).

***Building project "test123" for configuration "Emulator Debug (WINSCW) [Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9]"

***Printing environment variables modified from default:
    PATH=C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Tools\Command_Line_Tools;C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\tools;C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\gcc\bin;C:/Symbian/Tools/Carbide.c++ v2.7/jre/bin/client;C:/Symbian/Tools/Carbide.c++ v2.7/jre/bin;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Applications;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\tools;C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin
    =::=::\
    MWCSYM2INCLUDES=C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_Common\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_Win32\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_X86;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C++\MSL_Common\Include;+C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_Extras\MSL_Common\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_Extras\MSL_Win32\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\Win32-x86 Support\Headers\Win32 SDK;
    MWSYM2LIBRARIES=C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\Win32-x86 Support\Libraries\Win32 SDK;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\Runtime\Runtime_x86\Runtime_Win32\Libs
    MWSYM2LIBRARYFILES=MSL_All_MSE_Symbian_D.lib;gdi32.lib;user32.lib;kernel32.lib;
    MWCINCLUDES=C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_Common\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_Win32\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C\MSL_X86;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_C++\MSL_Common\Include;+C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_Extras\MSL_Common\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\MSL\MSL_Extras\MSL_Win32\Include;C:\Symbian\Tools\Carbide.c++ v2.7\x86Build\Symbian_Support\Win32-x86 Support\Headers\Win32 SDK;
    EPOCROOT=\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\
    NO_DEPENDENCIES=-nd
    MAKE=make -j 4

Working Directory: C:/Symbian/Carbide/workspace/test123

***Makefile structures up to date. Skipping 'bldmake bldfiles'

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ export
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do

Total Time: 1 sec

***Generating abld makefile.

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ makefile winscw Makefile_0xEE1E8748
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILEMAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748 VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 PLATFORM=WINSCW MAKMAKE
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), \epoc32\tools\uic test123.ui -o ui_test123.h, ...) failed.

make[2]: *** [ui_test123.h] Error 2

Total Time: 2 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ library winscw
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 PLATFORM=WINSCW LIB
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), \epoc32\tools\uic test123.ui -o ui_test123.h, ...) failed.

make -s -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\TEST123_0XEE1E8748.WINSCW" LIBRARY

Total Time: 3 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ resource winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 PLATFORM=WINSCW CFG=UDEB RESOURCE
    make -s -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\TEST123_0XEE1E8748.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB

Total Time: 4 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ target winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 PLATFORM=WINSCW CFG=UDEB BLD

make -j 4 -s -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\TEST123_0XEE1E8748.WINSCW" UDEB
    test123.cpp
    main.cpp
    moc_test123.cpp
    mwccsym2.exe: Specified file '\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\moc_test123.cpp' not found

Errors caused tool to abort.
    make[1]: *** [\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\udeb\moc_test123.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make[1]: *** [\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\udeb\test123.o] Error 1
    test123.h:14: the file 'ui_test123.h' cannot be opened
    test123.h:25: undefined identifier 'Ui'
    test123.h:14: the file 'ui_test123.h' cannot be opened
    test123.h:25: undefined identifier 'Ui'
    test123.cpp:15: undefined identifier 'ui'

make[1]: *** [\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\TEST123_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW\udeb\main.o] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETTEST123_0XEE1E8748] Error 2

Total Time: 14 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ final winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 -f "MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\MAKEFILE_0XEE1E8748\WINSCW TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123 PLATFORM=WINSCW CFG=UDEB FINAL

Total Time: 14 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\ test export
    make -r -f "\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\test123\EXPORTtest.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do

Total Time: 15 sec

***Errors were detected in build. See the Problems or Console view for details.

Total Time: 15 sec

Super Contributor

Did you follow the roadmap?

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    Did you follow the roadmap?
    Thanks for the link. I was expecting after having installed all the required software, everything would be good and not have to follow even more instructions ( unlike Android and iOS SDKs , which worked 100% straight 'out the box').

Going through each point in the roadmap:

*Open C and Open C++
    I have downloaded the Symbian^3 and therefore this can be skipped. According to docs, this only applies to Symbian^1 and below.

Carbide Windows Compiler
    Symbian^3 sdk comes with a compiler that satisfies this requirement:
    Nokia Carbide C/C++ Compiler for Windows/x86.
    Copyright (c) 2009, Nokia Corporation
    All rights reserved.
    Version 3.2.5 build 490
    Runtime Built: Apr 13 2010 15:09:35

( version 3.2.5, build 487 is the minimum )

Qt development environment:
    QT comes with Symbian^3 0.9 SDK, can skip this too.

Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian:
    Done.

Qt Mobility APIs
    Done. However, a barebones QT application does not use mobility.

Configure command line

Done, but I'm compiling from Carbide. In any case I can't compile from commandline either.

So, having followed the roadmap, Carbide is still cannot compile a barebones QT App..... Sigh.

Interestingly, I get the same compilation errors using QT Creator.. however, the build process in QT Creator ignores these errors and builds a successful .sis, where as carbide does not. I have tried installing Symbian^3 0.9 SDK, Carbide, Perl on a fresh installation of windows 7, but same errors.