Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Set Latitude and Set Longitude

HI all,

http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...atitude(double)

I want to set the latitude and longitude in order to test the location based applications.

For example lets consider if I am setting the latitude and longitude of europe and after setting it if I open my location bassed application it will show the ATM's, shops, banks, etc.., Is it feasible..Any one have any sample example on this.

Super Contributor

Re: Set Latitude and Set Longitude

in the WTK emulator you can actually simulate a GPS device, thus providing a longitude-latitude coordinate...
    Afterwards you can read that out using the JSR-179 (Location) API...
    Sure it's feasable, it ian't easy though.. You will need to have the coordinates of all those places (ATM's, shops etc), have a place to save them in, and you will need some kind of map to show them on (and no there is no API to the built-in OVI Maps)...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I just want to set the latitude and longitude to my required place. I want to work some 20 - 40 latitudes only.
    Then , i no need to show any map (Doubt: wont my nokia maps won't show my setted latitude and longitude?).
    I will be using the third party app to show some ATM's or shops at my current latitude and longitude (Which i setted).
    I am using netbeans 6.9. Will it be enough for this app?
    Can have any sample example to setLatitude and longitude?

Regular Contributor

In which device you are testing this.

Super Contributor

Ok the setLatitude and setLongitude methods are foor a Coordinates object... It's NOT the actual latitude or longitude that your phone thinks it is at the moment.
    From your explanation it seems tome you think that by setting such an Coordinates object your phone will think it's at those coodinates, but that wont happen... It's just an object, just like a String object or a DateTime object, just like any other Object in Object Oriented Programming...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Regular Contributor

Is there any way to do my task? i.e., to set latitude and longitude .

Super Contributor

as in to make the phone think it's at the specified Latitude + Longitude ? No, not in J2ME... You might want to ask in the C++/Symbian Forum, but honestly I wouldnt' be surprised if that's simply not possible on any platform...
    Then again if you just want to see how a device might react to a specific coordinate you can simply use the emulator and set it in there, and obviously load/run ur app on it as well....