Discussion Board

Package PIPS not available for your device (N8)

Hi,

Trying to port an exisitng app to Symbian^3 / N8, but stucked : I added dependency to PIPS in the .pkg but got this error : Package PIPS (0x20013851 v1.06.0) is not available for your device.
    I'm testing on a Nokia N8.

After checking http://dl.qt.nokia.com/smartinstalle...51_changes.xml (thanks to ADM logs!) it seems that the N8 isn't listed as supported device. Is this "normal" ?

Thanks,
    Julien

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Package PIPS not available for your device (N8)

Nokia N8 has OpenC already, version 1.7.5. You are declaring a dependency to 1.6 which a) is not needed for the device and b) it is obsolete.

Smart Installer is also currently configured for deployment of Qt only. Deployment of OpenC/C++ was not tested and, although it should work, there might be a glitch or two. It would be really useful to see the full log file.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

We get the same error.

It is interesting that SmartInstaller only supports Qt deployment but Ovi store requires that we use SmartInstaller.

We posted our software on Ovi Store and was told to remove the PIPS, OpenC etc. libraries from our installation and use SmartInstaller.

BUT if SmartInstaller doesn't support deployment of anything else than Qt - WHY does Ovi Store require that we remove installation of these libraries?

Thanks
    Ole

Nokia Developer Moderator

That is indeed a good question.

The Smart Installer is generally preffered because it does not blindly install something but instead first checks whether the component existis and has the minimum required version. In the case of Qt it also avoids useles downloads of the large runtime files, but that's a secondary benefit, the main one being still the avoidance of accidental downgrading.

This is why I would say you should be able to publish apps with OpenC embedded, as long as you take the precaution to manage the versions and ensure that downgrading does not occur.

I will try to clarify this with Ovi Store team and I will get back to you once I have some clarity.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite