Discussion Board

Publishing using Smart Installer for pure Symbian C++ (non QT) application

Just wandering if there is anybody else there that is using Smart Installer to distribute their Symbian, but non QT application. The main reason for considering it, is that my application is using OpenC libraries and the Smart Installer will download and install this dependency if the libraries are missing on the phone.

After scanning this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...mart+installer it seems that if I was using QT application, when I submit for signing, I can pack the unsigned application.sis file into a smart installer "wrapper". Then submit the application as QT application and Nokia QAs, will sign both the application.sis and "wrapper" sis file correctly.

I guess I can submit my application as QT to get the same behavior, even though strictly speaking the application is not using QT. The question is should I do so, or I can specify my application as "Symbian Application" and the QA will still be smart enough to disassemble the "wrapper" sis and to sign the inner application.sis as they do for QT applications.

Anybody else had/having the same dilemma?
    Last edited by gybrush; 2010-12-18 at 13:26. Reason: Title update

Super Contributor

Re: Publishing using Smart Installer for pure Symbian C++ (non QT) application

Hi,
    IMHO, your strategy will backfire severely.

AFAIK, SI is a dumb app - it just checks what is a jour, and downloads it all. So you would automatically treat your clients to a 13MB install of Qt...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

I've already checked the technical side of things and it works perfectly. Smart Installer scans dependencies in the application sis file, in my case only these:

;PIPS library need to be installed.
    (0x20013851), 1, 0, 0, {"Symbian OS PIPS Library"}

;Standard C++ library need to be installed.
    (0x2000F866), 1, 0, 0, {"Symbian OS Standard C++ Library"}

and installs just them. It does not download or install the rest of the QT library at all. So I'm not really asking whether the solution will work, because it does. Just wandering what is the appropriate way to have it Nokia signed and published.
    Last edited by gybrush; 2010-12-21 at 08:45. Reason: Spelling mistake

Super Contributor

Hi,
    well then - IMHO the safest way would be to send them the whole package, and an email telling them how to sign it.

If it works as you describe (thanks for enlightening good old Tam), it should work and be legal to do.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog