Discussion Board

how to change the input mode of the mobile using j2me (MIDP2.0)?

HI ALL,

I am working in j2me midp2.0 environment.Now, i want to draw String(custom item) based on user key pressed event.here, my problem is, some phones default input mode is numeric and i cant be able to draw Strings...So, Please give me a way to change this input mode to Strings and vice versa...

i am using Nokia 7230.It Default input mode is Numeric. and i cant able to change Alpha Numeric for drawing Strings.now i only able to get numeric from 0 to 9. Please guide me to get this problem.

I am very much Expecting your Reply...

Saravanan.P

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: how to change the input mode of the mobile using j2me (MIDP2.0)?

i d'ont quite understand your issue: what event do you capture? what is your custom item doing?

Quote Originally Posted by njzk2 View Post
    i d'ont quite understand your issue: what event do you capture? what is your custom item doing?
    Hi,

I have drawn a table using custom item. and perform all the functionalities like original table(table navigation).Now, i want to edit each and every cell of my table.Here, My Problem is some of my cells are numeric and others are String.But in Nokia 7230, the default input mode is numeric.so, cann't able to edit String type cells.I dont know how to change the mobile input mode based on my table cells.

TextField has buit in functionalities for this.We can restrict String by creating textfield as TextField.NUMERIC.similiarly for TextField.ANY for String.I want this similiar functionalites for cutom item table: Event is KEY PRESSED.... and draw the input string using paint().

Please guide me get this Problem... I am eagerly waiting for your reply.

Saravanan

Nokia Developer Champion

why don't you use a textfield or extend a textfield?
    when you catch a keyPressed (if i understand that's what you do) you receive a code corresponding to the key that is pressed. in case of a numerical keyboard, you will always receive codes that are code points for numbers. it is up to you to find out which letter you want from a key.