Discussion Board

Installing Python Runtime 1.9.7 on Nokia N8

Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone have tried installing python runtime 1.9.7 on Nokia N8?
    I encountered a "Update error" when i try to install "Python_1.9.7.sis" with the files from the link below.

I have tried installing "PythonScriptShell_1.9.7_high_capas.sis" first, vice versa and even reset my phone. I'm still getting the same error.

Does anyone have any idea why?http://www.mediafire.com/?van5bczooeenau2

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Installing Python Runtime 1.9.7 on Nokia N8

Starting from S60 3rd FP1, you can usually find dumpsis in the SDK-s (epoc32\tools\dumpsis.exe). If you extract the larger file with dumpsis -x Python_1.9.7.sis, you will find that it contains several embedded .sis files. Majority of which seem to be Open C/C++ 1.3. Symbian^3 has a much newer version built-in, and Update error is exactly about failed overwrite attempt of already existing files.
    The Python package should be re-built with either a Symbian^3 aware version of Open C/C++ (1.7.5 is the current version), or at least stripped from this old bundled installer (code built for Open C/C++ 1.3 will happily run on an out-of-the-box N8).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Starting from S60 3rd FP1, you can usually find dumpsis in the SDK-s (epoc32\tools\dumpsis.exe). If you extract the larger file with dumpsis -x Python_1.9.7.sis, you will find that it contains several embedded .sis files. Majority of which seem to be Open C/C++ 1.3. Symbian^3 has a much newer version built-in, and Update error is exactly about failed overwrite attempt of already existing files.
    The Python package should be re-built with either a Symbian^3 aware version of Open C/C++ (1.7.5 is the current version), or at least stripped from this old bundled installer (code built for Open C/C++ 1.3 will happily run on an out-of-the-box N8).
    Has anybody re-built such versión? Can we get any working Phyton Installer for N8?

What would be really great is a Python for S60 1.9.7 package containing a PIS.sis with optional inatallation that would be executed only if it's found on your device. This way it would be good on Symbian^3 as well as on S60v3 or v5. I tried repackaging Python using makesis program but it always crashed and even if it had been successful I'd still need to sign it somehow.

Try this http://www.walkernews.net/2010/11/29...e-on-nokia-n8/.

Worked perfectly for me, hopefully will for you....