Discussion Board

3410, OTA *NOT* Working for me....Help, please....

Hi,

I configured (i think correctly because wap seems to work) my 3410.

I connected to www.midlet.org/spruce trying to download some Midlets, but, when i choose "download" on my phone, the screen says "Connection Lost, Try Again".
    Ehm, actually the message is in italian, i'm from italy, and i am using the telephone provider called "TIM" (i could also try with OMNITEL-VODAFONE).
    Instead, connecting to www.midlet.org it says "redirecting" and seems to remain there for several minutes...

So, is there any other site where i could try to download some free midlet ? I'd like to see if it's a problem of my Nokia 3410 or a problem of Midlet.org and Midlet.org/spruce...

Thank You In Advance...

Regular Contributor

RE: 3410, OTA *NOT* Working for me....Help, please....

Depending upon the firmware version of your 3410, the size of MIDlets you can download is limited to either 30k or 50k, I can't remember the exact number of bytes at the moment though, sorry!

If the files are bigger than this, then you'll get error messages, probably the "Connection Lost" one.

The error connecting to www.midlets.org might be because their web server fails to recognise the WAP browser correctly and re-direct to a WAP page, there's probably nothing you can do about that except mail someone there.

Maybe there are some Nokia pages what provide MIDlets to download?

Cheers,
    Steve

If you're getting the error message:

Connection lost, try again

then this occurs when your WAP ISP's gateway is not configured to allow large downloads. I got this message in the UK when I used Vodafone's GSM WAP service with my 6310i. I changed my WAP ISP to wire3.net and it worked fine.

You can set up more than one WAP ISP in the Services Settings menu on your phone. I would suggest trying a different WAP ISP in your area, hopefully you'll find an appropriate one through trial and error.

This is not an ideal situation, and I'm disappointed that Sun and the phone hardware manufacturers have not done enough to educate the ISPs about WAP download requirements for J2ME phones.

Uhm, still no help with 3410 ?

I take back my earlier advice about switching WAP service providers.

At the time, I only had a 6310i and doing this did solve the problem for me.

I now have a 3410 and I am experiencing exactly the same problems as 'themac'. I have set up everything the same as I did for the 6310i, and whilst the 6310i allows me to download the midlet, the 3410 fails giving a "Connection lost, try again". The midlet in question is less than 25K.

I've spent the best part of a day, switching WAP service providers, tinkering with settings, trying to get this to work with no luck. The only midlet I've managed to download is a simple hello world midlet, anything bigger and I get the error.

Has anybody succesfully downloaded a reasonably sized (25K) midlet OTA with the 3410? If so, how?

This experience does not bode well for what originally was supposed to be an up-and-coming marketplace. If I can't do it how on Earth is Joe Public going to manage it.

Ok, just to keep this post UP.

...thanks to carlos and abstractworlds...

By the way, it's very sad to see how NO ONE at nokia ever answered us providing ANY kind of help. This definitely is not what we call "customer care" or "developers support".

Ok, let's keep ourselves informed if there are any news...

Wooohooo! I finally got it working, 4 days later!

I have managed to download a reasonably sized midlet (22K) OTA to my Nokia 3410. There was nothing wrong with how I set up my midlet on my web server, it was as I thought a problem with the WAP gateway ISP.

In the end I tried the Orange UK WAP gateway, originally I thought I couldn't use this because I was a Vodafone customer.

I got the WAP settings from:
    http://www.wapfreaks.net/en-gb/pg_9.html

AFAIK, Orange is the only WAP gateway in the UK that works for decent sized midlets for the Nokia 3410. I set up 3 midlets on my web server (1K, 3K, and 22K). Using the 3410, the Orange gateway allowed my to download the 22K, but the Vodafone and Wire3 gateway only allowed me to download the 1K midlet - giving me a Connection Lost, Try Again message with anything larger. Performing the same test on the 6310i with a GSM Data connection, Orange and Wire3 allowed me to download everything, but with the Vodafone WAP gateway I could only download a 1K and 3K midlet.

My midlets are at:
    http://www.abstractworlds.net
    if you want to test downloading on your gateways.

Best of luck

Hi

This seems to be connected to download via wap, it is correct that the Nokia3410 is able to download 50kB, due to the fact that it support SAR(Segmentation and Reassembly). But only if SAR also is supported and configured correctly at the wap gateway at your ISP otherwise the packetsize that Nokia 3410 is able to download is 2.8kB

One I've tried with success is the Finnish operator Radiolinja
    Dial in: +358600505050
    Ip address: 213.161.40.40
    User: rl
    Password: wap

I hope this can help.

http://nkn.forum.nokia.com/devrel/threadshow.cfm?mb=5117711977577247&msg=9971272771765010&page=1