Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Learning Qt for Symbian as Java developer

Hey Guys,

I am a J2ME developer trying to learn Qt for Symbian. I am kinda lost of where to start though, I installed the Nokia Qt SDK and fiddled around with it for a bit (creating a simple Hello World etc.), but I think I miss the basic c++ skills.

Could you guys give me some tips and links to relevant tutorials, I'm having a really hard time on finding a good starting point.

Thanks in advance!

Super Contributor

Re: Learning Qt for Symbian as Java developer

Well, you're lucky in that Java and Qt are very much similar. But unlucky in that the differences can bite you.

You should get a book on basic C++ programming and work through that for awhile. You need to learn a little bit about heap management, about the various ways of passing values, about the various ways of doing assignment (and the various forms of constructors and assignment operators that enable those various ways).

With Qt you mostly don't have to worry about heap management, but you do a little, just to be sure that everything that you "new" has a parent, and that the parent eventually gets deleted.

Super Contributor

Re: Learning Qt for Symbian as Java developer

Quote Originally Posted by Seikeau View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am a J2ME developer trying to learn Qt for Symbian. I am kinda lost of where to start though, I installed the Nokia Qt SDK and fiddled around with it for a bit (creating a simple Hello World etc.), but I think I miss the basic c++ skills.

Could you guys give me some tips and links to relevant tutorials, I'm having a really hard time on finding a good starting point.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

Qt is similar to C++, In C++ user has to define and construct class of his own choice, while in Qt developer has to use the class from the Qt class library.

If you are familiar with JavaScript then you should start work in QML, because it is very much similar to the JavaScript.

Best regards,