Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to install application on remote device

Hi,

I just want to know that is it possible to send our application and start installation automatically on a remote (symbian) device through SMS/MMS or any other way...

I know that when it come to possibility symbian can beat any other platform, that's why I am asking this just for curiosity..

Thanks in Advance
    Ravi Soni

Re: How to install application on remote device

The simplest way would be to send an SMS to users with a http link to the installation package (your sis file). When the user clicks on the link in the messaging application, the link will be opened in the web browser, which has special handling for "x-epoc/x-sisx-app" content type ("application/vnd.symbian.install" in S60 versions < S60 3rd ed). All the web server needs to do is use that content-type when replying 200 OK to the GET.

This article descirbes how to change web server configs:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...m_your_website

There are also some more advanced means of remote installing applications, like via OMA DM, but unless you are a device manufacturer or a network operator, I suggest you go with the simple method.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tpatja View Post
    The simplest way would be to send an SMS to users with a http link to the installation package (your sis file). When the user clicks on the link in the messaging application, the link will be opened in the web browser, which has special handling for "x-epoc/x-sisx-app" content type ("application/vnd.symbian.install" in S60 versions < S60 3rd ed). All the web server needs to do is use that content-type when replying 200 OK to the GET.

This article descirbes how to change web server configs:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...m_your_website

There are also some more advanced means of remote installing applications, like via OMA DM, but unless you are a device manufacturer or a network operator, I suggest you go with the simple method.
    Hi tpatja,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    But can you plz elaborate the methods other than the web link through SMS bcoz web link method will depend on the availability of internet on the device and thus can cause failure in installation.

I will be very thankful to you if you can provide some links or any other helpful things regarding the those other methods.

Thanks in advance
    Ravi Soni

But can you plz elaborate the methods other than the web link through SMS bcoz web link method will depend on the availability of internet on the device and thus can cause failure in installation.
    In any case (if your aim is to remotely deploy an application), there will need to be a working internet connection on the device. The SMS thing assumes there is a working APN configured on the device. With OMA DM, you can provision the APN settings.

Links about OMA DM ? Google finds many of them. There is also plenty information about OMA DM and Nokia devices' support for it on this site.

Regular Contributor

thanks a lot tpatja...
    Ravi Soni