Discussion Board

Thread: Qt Support

Unhappy Qt Support

The "all-in-one" SDKs say they support Qt, but that does not seem to be true... how can I add Qt support to, say S60 5th edition SDK?

From the SDK download page:
    "Supported runtimes
    The all-in-one SDKs support development of applications using the following runtimes:

* Qt.
    * Symbian C++.
    * Java™ technology.
    * Web Runtime (WRT)."

Super Contributor

Re: Qt Support

Do you mean you want to create app for S60 5th edition phones? That shoudl be available in Qt SDK. Qt SDK support mainly development for Symbian and MeeGo platform.

Super Contributor

you might want to download the "Qt libraries 4.7.1 for Symbian" directly from http://qt.nokia.com/downloads .

as always suggested if you are not doing anything special then it is always suggested that you use "Nokia Qt SDK"

Nokia Developer Expert

I think the only All-in-one SDK would be Symbian^3, S60 ones have been Symbian only ones.. anyway, as suggested, just install the Qt on top of the S60 SDK.

Thanks guys!
    Things were easier in the early days, with only one way to proceed: install qt libs on top of the SDK. Now I haven't had time to try every option myself, and with Nokia's documentation being the utter crap it is, there is no way to know.
    Now I wonder, is it possible to get Qt libraries version 4.6.1 for S60... OVI store does not accept the newer version.

I can't understand why Nokia can't package their SDKs ready to use... and why there are so many versions floating around.. annoying! They should just have one package to download, with a full SDK for OVI store development, not this tedious hunting for the right packages and combinations.

BTW, can I do my binary compilations with the "Nokia Qt SDK", without a S60 SDK? Again, this is hard to spot in the documentation.

Thanks again!
    -Mikael

I installed the Qt libraries for 4.7.1 now. All seemed to go well there, but...

With the S60 5th edition SDK I get this while importing a Qt project: "Creating project has encountered a problem. Cannot run program "qmake.exe": Launching failed"

The Symbian^3 SDK does not compile my project, complaining that moc files are missing, and that "Invalid project path: Include path not found (C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\include\platform\loc\sc)"
    -----

EDIT: I had to add the bin folder path (C:\Qt\4.7.1-symbian\bin) of the Qt libs to the path, and now I can compile. All is well. Maybe one day Nokia will start respecting itself enough to have a self-contained SDK that does not need any hacking. What remains, is to ask a friend for an old 4.6 version of the Qt libs, for OVI distribution. Pretty exciting!
    -----

And the "Nokia Qt SDK" is handicapped in that it does not allow any Symbian C++ APIs to be used. I need at least CEikStatusPane at this point, and later will need to obtain the private directory path... I don't really understand how one is supposed to get such things done in QtCreator / Nokia qt SDK. Any ideas?
    Last edited by mikaellaine; 2010-12-26 at 13:57.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I think these kind of questions more belong to the "Qt for Symbian" boards - moved your thread there.
    Symbian C++ boards are about Symbian C++, while Qt for Symbian is exactly about the situation when you are using Qt, but need something Symbian-specific.

Nokia Developer Champion

There used to be instructions on doing this at http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...tandalone_SDKs .
    However, the vandals at Symbian Foundation have made the page inaccessible.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikaellaine View Post
    And the "Nokia Qt SDK" is handicapped in that it does not allow any Symbian C++ APIs to be used. I need at least CEikStatusPane at this point, and later will need to obtain the private directory path... I don't really understand how one is supposed to get such things done in QtCreator / Nokia qt SDK. Any ideas?
    You can (and in many cases still must) use Symbian APIs from the Nokia Qt SDK, and it does work - you just need to include/link the proper Symbian libraries. See the orientation lock example which does just that: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian

Quote Originally Posted by achipa View Post
    You can (and in many cases still must) use Symbian APIs from the Nokia Qt SDK, and it does work - you just need to include/link the proper Symbian libraries. See the orientation lock example which does just that: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian
    Thanks for the link! I didn't quite see how QtCreator gets access to the Symbian headers and libs, but I'll try my way through this.