Discussion Board

Problems with using camera in my WRT application hosted on Nokia E52

I’ve got problems with using camera in my WRT application hosted on Nokia E52 with Platform Services 2.0 installed.

I’ve tried to use camera in the way documented on http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_use_Camera_in_WRT_Widget
    When I invoke code: var tid = so.startCamera(onCameraAppLoaded, onCameraError);
    default camera application is starting and I can take a picture. After taking the picture nothing happen, so the camera application doesn’t returns to my WRT application. When I click back and close default camera application (after taking a photo), my application and camera application are closed.

Event onCameraAppLoaded or onCameraError is never raised.
    I’ve also tried using camera through Phonegap but the result is similar: default camera application starts but but photo capture event is never raised and closing default camera application also close my WRT application.
    I would be very grateful for your help because I’ve spent couple of days investigating this problem without any results…
    Regards

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Problems with using camera in my WRT application hosted on Nokia E52

Hello Jarzi,

Platform services 2.0 is not supported on E52. Please see PS 2.0 release notes for details.

-Ilkka

It does exactly the same thing with C7 and N8. :/ I suppose they should be 2.0-enabled?

Impossible to get back to WRT from the camera view.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi tripsay,

Does your widget crash totally after closing the camera application? Are you directly using the received image?
    Basically there is a change that you run out of memory, when trying to open full image. Please try setting the image size form camera settings to smallest one.

Second issue with the camera API is related to phone language (and used time delimiter). It suffers from the same date parsing problem as whole PS 2.0 library.
    If you are using non English device JavaScript fails to parse date time string and it does not return any images.

Br,
    Ilkka

Nope, as I stated in another thread today...

- It doesn't depend on the image size. Some times a 12Mpix works ok, sometimes a 640x480px fails. The photo is always saved OK to image folder. After returning from camera view the app thinks about 1-2 secs and then either continues with callback-function or crashes and shuts down.
    - The language has been consistently EN.
    - Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Can't catch any error messages and don't know how to debug more.

Nokia Developer Expert