Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Trial and Full version same UID?

I've read 47 pages of Publisher Guide, this discussion board but still unlucky to find information about how to submit Trial and Full versions of my application to Ovi Store.

As I understood the steps I should do, shortly:
    1. Create an accound as Ovi Publisher
    2. send mail to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com with request to get UIDs, cert and key.
    3. Sign application
    4. Upload it for QA approval.

I just don't know what to do if I have 2 versions of my application: Trial and Full one.
    1. Can I assign both with the same UID? So, the installed full version will replace early downloaded trial one on the phone.
    2. Can I submit for QA tests both application versions at the same time?

Regular Contributor

Re: Trial and Full version same UID?

1.) I got the answer from Ovi that I have to use 2 different UIDs for free and full version. On the other hand, in this thread someone said that he successfully used the same UID for free/full version: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...-trial-version
    2.) No, you have to create separate content items for each version.

Regular Contributor

How in this case should I solve problem with removal of trial version on the device?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by developer 123 View Post
    How in this case should I solve problem with removal of trial version on the device?
    Let the user uninstall the trial on their own, or keep it there, too, if they so wish. I.e., do nothing. That's also how "full/paid" vs. "lite/free" versions have been handled in Apple's App Store (before they introduced in-app purchasing, but also since then for apps that do not support in-app purchasing).

Nokia Developer Moderator

It would make no sense at all to disallow using same UIDs, in some cases it is really important to get the trial version out before having the full version, and having the same UIDs makes it easiest way on handling the situation.

Also, please point me to the actualt thread that any Ovi person says that it is not allowed, I can not see any reason for this kind of restriction. At least it make no sense at all.

Regular Contributor

I got this answer about paid/free items as a reply from Ovi store support. The reason to use different UIDs seems to be related to the Ovi store client which distinguishes between different programs only based on the UID. In other words: if the light and full version use the same UID the client cannot distinguish between them.

And what would the client use the UID identification for ? propably launching the apps ? AFAIK each separate content in Ovi store has separate content ID, so I'm not following the idea on having the application UID (which is also Symbian specific) being the sole identification for actual content in ovi store...

I would really argue the point with the support person, since I'm not convinced on the restriction being actual one.. Though, as I'm just technical expert, and not official Ovi support person, I might have a different logic that they have..

Regular Contributor

we are publishing our lite and full contents with same uids. But there is a bug in ovi store if both lite and full version Name and Description starts with same string ovi client will recognize only one. We faced this issue and resolved by ovi team.

If you have

MyApp
    MyApp-Lite

ovi store only shows one of them.

You must rename them to

MyApp
    Lite-MyApp

Same uid is not a problem.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dahiya.vinod View Post
    we are publishing our lite and full contents with same uids. But there is a bug in ovi store if both lite and full version Name and Description starts with same string ovi client will recognize only one. We faced this issue and resolved by ovi team.

If you have

MyApp
    MyApp-Lite

ovi store only shows one of them.

You must rename them to

MyApp
    Lite-MyApp

Same uid is not a problem.
    Thanks for the info, in fact I called my game DEMO [MyGame], as opposed to [MyGame] DEMO, without being aware of this bug, so it looks like it was the right choice. I just thought it was easier to identify the full and demo versions this way, all the more considering that my title is already made up of three words, so the word DEMO added at the end would not have been spotted instantly.

As for the UID's, I assumed that they had to be different, but I don't see that as a problem. With in-app purchase (which I don't use yet) it's true that it makes more sense to keep the same UID.

Dahiya, why did you say that "same uid is not a problem". Do you mean that the same uid did not cause the bug, but the same beginning of the name? I find it hard to believe that Publisher can have only one game that starts with "The".

Or did I missunderstand something?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jetrix74 View Post
    Dahiya, why did you say that "same uid is not a problem". Do you mean that the same uid did not cause the bug, but the same beginning of the name? I find it hard to believe that Publisher can have only one game that starts with "The".

Or did I missunderstand something?
    We are using same uid for demo and full version for same product. Demo is free. If someone buy full version, it is installed over demo because both have same uid.

If beginning of name and description are same for both, ovi client will show you only one of them. This is the way ovi client works (a bug i think).

this is areply from ovi excutive:
    This is a known issue. When you have 2 contents have have similar display names and descriptions, only one shows up in the search result. It is because the search function in the Ovi Store cannot distinguish the slight difference.

Thank you for clarifying. ---> leaving to editing content

Now my question is what happen with the updates I upload to my content?
    In case I have a Trial and Full version with the same UID, and for instance I update my content file for the Full version. How the OVI client in the phone will recognize which app needs to be updated?
    In other words, someone who has the Trial version could get updated to the new release of the Full version by mistake? on the light that the trial version has the same UID as the full version?.

then if they have purchased the full version, they could go and reinstall it. Anyway, if user makes mistake, they are making it themselves, and they would need to go and fix it as well.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi all,

The Ovi Store client uses an app’s UID to determine whether an app has been installed. If you happen to use the same UID for both lite and full versions, the Nokia Store client will believe that a customer has downloaded the full version and will not display a Download button.

We are currently working on a Qt-based In-App Purchase API to allow developers to offer a try and buy solution to customers. This will solve the need to have a lite and full version. However, until this API is officially available, I will have to ask for you to separate your lite and full version by using different UIDs.

Andrew