Discussion Board

Image caching solutions

Happy Holidays everyone! I know peoples' brain are switched off right now, but can you please give me solutions or best practices to cache images in java or j2me. I am trying to load images from a server (input stream) and I want to be able to store them so I don't have to retrieve them from the server all the time if they need to be displayed again. Thank you.

Re: Image caching solutions

Quote Originally Posted by iparrot View Post
    Happy Holidays everyone! I know peoples' brain are switched off right now, but can you please give me solutions or best practices to cache images in java or j2me. I am trying to load images from a server (input stream) and I want to be able to store them so I don't have to retrieve them from the server all the time if they need to be displayed again. Thank you.
    In J2me, store those images in the form of byte data that you get for eaxh image as a single record RMS - keeping the name of the Recordstore same at that of the image - for caching the image after downloading from the server 1st time and reuse.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    In J2me, store those images in the form of byte data that you get for eaxh image as a single record RMS - keeping the name of the Recordstore same at that of the image - for caching the image after downloading from the server 1st time and reuse.
    Also add some aging and eviction logic so that your cache doesnt grow indefinitely.

~VJ

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    Also add some aging and eviction logic so that your cache doesnt grow indefinitely.

~VJ
    kind of confusing what you mean, you mean like a time stamp that after certain days pass, it deletes the data.

Quote Originally Posted by iparrot View Post
    kind of confusing what you mean, you mean like a time stamp that after certain days pass, it deletes the data.
    Yes. with limited rms storage on devices you wouldnt want your cache to grow indefinitely . Also have some quick eviction algo so that you can quickly discover entries that can be deleted from the cache.

~VJ

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    Yes. with limited rms storage on devices you wouldnt want your cache to grow indefinitely . Also have some quick eviction algo so that you can quickly discover entries that can be deleted from the cache.

~VJ
    ok.. thanks, i get it now