Discussion Board

Switching between MIDP 2.0 and 2.1

Hello,
    I'm doing an J2MEapplication for Nokia 5800. Its Profile is MIDP-2.1 and Configuration is CLDC-1.1.
    the application runs perfectly in the device.

Now, I want to have the same application in Nokia E63(profile--MIDP-2.0 and Configuration -- CLDC-1.1. )
    Is it ok if I only change the MIDlet's setRequestProperty() method's arguments ? or any other changes?

c.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "Profile/MIDP-2.0 Confirguration/CLDC-1.1");

Will this run perfectly in Nokia E63?
    Please clarify....

Re: Switching between MIDP 2.0 and 2.1

The JAD/.mf file should have MIDP 2.0 in place of MIDP 2.1.
    If you are using Netbeans or WTK, set the MIDP version as 2.0 for your project and do a clean build again.

Changing - c.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "Profile/MIDP-2.0 Confirguration/CLDC-1.1");
    will only make the change to the User-Agent String which you get on the server side - but a MIDP 2.1 midlet will not run on MIDP 2.0 platform till the above steps are not taken.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Thanks ektasrv.
    I tried as you told. It works.. thank you..
    And one more thing.
    While developing the application, I consider only the MIDP and CLDC configuration of the particular mobile device. I dont consider the display dimensions of the devices. Will there be any problem in running the application in mobile devices with diferent display dimensions?
    Please Help..

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    The JAD/.mf file should have MIDP 2.0 in place of MIDP 2.1.
    If you are using Netbeans or WTK, set the MIDP version as 2.0 for your project and do a clean build again.

Changing - c.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "Profile/MIDP-2.0 Confirguration/CLDC-1.1");
    will only make the change to the User-Agent String which you get on the server side - but a MIDP 2.1 midlet will not run on MIDP 2.0 platform till the above steps are not taken.

Thanks Ektasrv.
    Can you help me doing my J2ME project? I'm a beginner here..

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by uraravind View Post
    Will there be any problem in running the application in mobile devices with diferent display dimensions?
    Possibly.

If you are using the MIDP LCDUI high-level components (such as Form, List, Textbox), you should find that the UI adapts quite well to changes in screen size and input capability. You might find that lists displaying on small screens do not display the full text of each item.

If you are using the low-level UI components (such as Canvas), you are drawing everything for yourself and handling all the events, so you are likely to find significant differences between devices.

I suggest you identify the lowest specification you want your application to work on (smallest screen size, worst input capabilities, lowest memory and performance, etc.), and try to test using a device with that specification. If you can't get hold of a suitable device, look around at different emulators. You can also get remote access to devices for testing.

You might like to read Java Porting in the forum wiki... this describes a variety of techniques for developing for multiple devices. Some of these techniques are advanced (and are appropriate for those developing sophisticated commercial games and applications), but there are some simple guidelines too.

Graham.