Discussion Board

Question Browser Plugin for Symbian phones

Hello,
    I am a Symbian and mobile programming newbie. I would like to develop a plugin for Symbian^3 and S60 5th edition browsers which would listen to touch or gesture events and respond to them with direct actions / context sensitive menus overriding the default menu. Some questions in relation to that:

1. Is QtBrowserPlugin the right approach to achieve such functionality? Is that class really supposed to work on Symbian platforms listed earlier?
    2. In the Qtwebkit link it says "Note: Netscape plugin support is only available on desktop platforms". Does it really mean that QtWebkit can not be used for developing Browser plugins on a) Symbian or b) any other Nokia mobile platforms e.g. Meego?
    3. If 1 and 2 lead to a positive answer that those Qt APIs work on symbian, can I assume that if I get the plugin working on Nokia OSS browser, it will work straight away on Mozilla Fennec implementation for that platform?
    4. If 1 and 2 lead to a Negative answer that those Qt APIs won't work on symbian, do we know the roadmap on when it will work? Is there an alternative to implement that functionality right now e.g. using Symbian c++?

After searching a lot all over the net for the necssary information I am posting the question in this forum.

Cheers,
    SunshineSuomi

Super Contributor

Re: Browser Plugin for Symbian phones

all boils down to 1 answer you With available devices the OSS browser is not in Qt so QtBrowserPlugin will not work right now. can't say with next generation of devices. till then you have to use native plugins.

1. One Dumb question in relation to your comment
    "OSS browser is not in Qt so QtBrowserPlugin will not work right now".
    If the interfaces between the application and plugins are clearly defined and IF Qt is able to generate the plugin in the binary form that the application expects, Does it really matter whether the application (in this case browser) is developed in Symbian C++ or Qt?

"QtBrowserPlugin will not work right now"
    Is that the official statement from Forum Nokia? I an new to Forum Nokia and do not know whether statement by "Forum Nokia Champion" should be considered as Nokia's official statement.
    Last edited by sunshine_btech; 2010-12-31 at 15:04. Reason: avoid confusion

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_btech View Post
    2. Is that the official statement from Forum Nokia? I an new to Forum Nokia and do not know whether statement by "Forum Nokia Champion" should be considered as Nokia's official statement.
    There are really no official statements by Nokia here. Some poster might work for Nokia, and they may or may not identify themelves as such. Forum Nokia Champions are mostly not employed by Nokia (some are, but it may or may not be obvious or public information), and thus FN Champion replies or not any kind of Nokia official statements.

If you want an official Nokia statement, you need to use the paid technical support for developers, or find the answer in Nokia published documents or articles.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_btech View Post
    1. One Dumb question in relation to your comment If the interfaces between the application and plugins are clearly defined and IF Qt is able to generate the plugin in the binary form that the application expects, Does it really matter whether the application (in this case browser) is developed in Symbian C++ or Qt?
    from what i have seen these does not work that way.

2. Is that the official statement from Forum Nokia? I an new to Forum Nokia and do not know whether statement by "Forum Nokia Champion" should be considered as Nokia's official statement.
    No these are NOT official statement from Forum Nokia. i am try to make suggestion or share my exeriance .