Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Installer?)

Hi,

after a HardReset on the Nokia N8-00 Ovi Store cannot be installed. C.\data\swilog.log logs "Ovi Store Installer: failed with -1". I manually installed Qt from the zip package available at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...eloper_version I tried 4.6 first and 4.7 afterwards but this doesn't help.

Does Ovi Store require Smart Installer? If so, where can i download it and how to install it as a standalone package (or can someone create a wrapper file with ovi store and si?).

Thank you!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

If Ovi Store should make use of the Smart Installer for their own client's distribution that is something that Ovi Store's development team will have to decide and make the appropriate changes. On your side there are several things you can do:
    - don't format the phone
    - if however you did so, install Qt 4.6 (from the above mentioned location, but not also Qt 4.7) and Qt Mobility 1.0.2 (from the SDK)
    - if despite this the installation fails, take the phone to an authorised Nokia service point and have the firmware re-flashed on your device, including the UDA component.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

Thanks for your reply. There is not technical Ovi Store support. The only support is for payments / subscriptions - they don't have a clue about those technical information.

- the problem with most Nokia phones is that at some point you have to format them. I had to do it because the phone starts to lag everywhere even without any app running and im not running into a service point only because nokia is too lazy to get their software running well.
    - i tried installing Qt 4.6 from that package but it doesn't help. 4.7 also does not help. The problem with that developer package is that its not working at all. Perhaps because its a developer and not a end-user version.
    - it is very annoying that a) the N8 firmware is not complete - otherwise doing a hardreset wouldn't cause such errors and b) only a premium service point can help; its not 1980, Firmware OTA, etc. Nokia could easily provide the missing software parts via internet or phone update app. Most service points are flashing phones using NSU; this does not help. Whats the UDA component? Do they know what to do?

1) the Qt version on the N8 is 4.6.2 and not 4.6.3 which is shipped in that developer package!
    2) Every Qt version from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 cannot be installed. The installation is aborted because of an error. 4.7.1 can be installed; instead of that error and aborting the installation it tells you that upgrading is not possible (same error code).

Symbian is really freaked up and someone should clean it up. Nokia tried so by getting rid of all these different versions but already did it wrong. Pen Input Server on N8 is different than on C7 (both Symbian^3) thus there are two different versions of Swype for these devices. How about releasing a small update? No, Nokia is sleeping - again.

Super Contributor

I'd suggest you try to find someone with a "virgin" N8 and have them record for you the precise packages and versions installed. Then you can see if you can find the same.

AFAIK, Ovi Store is not Qt, and shouldn't require Qt to be installed. It may require one of the Qt prereqs like OpenC, though.

Thats a good idea. I already thought about that. The problem is that some (most?) software packages are not shown, like Qt.

After doing a HardReset nothing is installed. Reflashing the firmware using NSU installs SeConUpdater 1.12(0) and Service Controllers 1.75(0). Connecting the device to Ovi Suite installs the following DS Plugins: Contacts Group 1.23(0), Media 1.21(0), MMS 1.35(0), SMS 1.15(0) and installing Qt 4.7.1 (ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/symbian/4...._installer.sis) gives you QtWebKit 4.07(1), OpenC LIBSSL Common 1.07(0) and Patch 1.07(0), Standard C++ library Common 1.07(0) and Patch 1.07(0) and Upgrade for OpenC LIBZ Support Files 1.07(0).

After the Qt installation is done, can i "uninstall" Qt installer? It requires 12 MB phone memory. I checked the installation protocol but this only shows Qt installer and not it contents like OpenC LIBSSL Common, etc. Why?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    Why?
    Because Nokia messed up the N8 and Symbian^3/Qt and Ovi Store and Ovi Maps for the N8; i.e., reformat of the device seems to put it in a state where there are no suitable installers that can reinstall them properly by a phone user. I bet it'll be fixed in the next firmware update, but for now, it is best to avoid reformatting the N8 (just reset it by the 8 second power on/off key press, if you have to). If you've already reformatted it, a Nokia service/repair center should be able to reflash it so that it works again with Ovi Store and Maps.

Super Contributor

A hard reset shouldn't remove any packages that aren't installable and shown on the installed application list.

Thanks for your reply. There is not technical Ovi Store support. The only support is for payments / subscriptions - they don't have a clue about those technical information.

- the problem with most Nokia phones is that at some point you have to format them. I had to do it because the phone starts to lag everywhere even without any app running and im not running into a service point only because nokia is too lazy to get their software running well.
    I have not noticed such lag and, if one does indeed exist, caused by some memory leak, a reboot of the device should fix it ...
    - i tried installing Qt 4.6 from that package but it doesn't help. 4.7 also does not help. The problem with that developer package is that its not working at all. Perhaps because its a developer and not a end-user version.
    Indeed, a developer release is to be used by developers only, and may have side effects. Still, I see no reason for it not to work in this case.
    - it is very annoying that a) the N8 firmware is not complete - otherwise doing a hardreset wouldn't cause such errors and b) only a premium service point can help; its not 1980, Firmware OTA, etc. Nokia could easily provide the missing software parts via internet or phone update app. Most service points are flashing phones using NSU; this does not help. Whats the UDA component? Do they know what to do?.
    The firmware is complete but modular and the module containing Qt (the UDA component) is not delivered via NSU since it was not seen as needed. The problem is now known and some corrective action will be taken with the next firmware release.
    1) the Qt version on the N8 is 4.6.2 and not 4.6.3 which is shipped in that developer package!
    The Qt version in N8 is 4.6.4 and the developer package contains the same version.
    2) Every Qt version from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 cannot be installed. The installation is aborted because of an error. 4.7.1 can be installed; instead of that error and aborting the installation it tells you that upgrading is not possible (same error code).
    There are some upgrading tricks which I won't discuss here, but I have seen blog posts recommending the usage of the developer packages to recover from hard reset and the installation was reported as successful and that is also matching my expectations. Also remember to install Qt Mobility, the Ovi Store will need it.
    Symbian is really freaked up and someone should clean it up. Nokia tried so by getting rid of all these different versions but already did it wrong. Pen Input Server on N8 is different than on C7 (both Symbian^3) thus there are two different versions of Swype for these devices. How about releasing a small update? No, Nokia is sleeping - again.
    If you think that making an announcement solves the problem the next day, you’re in for a disappointment again. Symbian^3, Symbian now, will evolve and improve but that is something to look for in the next firmware releases and not in the ones already released. If you are working for Swype please do send me [a private message with] the details of what makes N8 and C7 require significant changes in your code.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Tired to have surfed the net until almost all has a smart post that solutions that do not work yesterday i downloaded the 900MB SDK Nokia Qt to use a 10 MB file does not work either with fhonex narfin. These are trick video that appear talked to Nokia they know the problem or I'm going to help or hope the next update god knows quando.moro in Brazil and not mastered English. unity is strength I hope you will join to push the Nokia. I can only wait.
    Thank Ronaldo

Thumbs up Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

I am not a developer I am only an advanced user I have several Nokia smarthephone all I've done them all and never went to care. Before the Hard Reset did a backup. I've done everything. Ovi maps already installed 3.6 it works well. And that without the Ovi store I can not download anything. Since that November day and night I seek a solution. All the places I was shown that solutions do not work. Do not want to get technical assistance because it would give another reset to protect my personal files I can only hope the long awaited UPDATE. sorry I wrote with help from Google tradutor.Thank you!

Hi,

I did *#7370# for N8-00 and faced the problem that some apps including Ovi store did not start. As discussed here the ovi store cannot be re-installed after reset.
    But after installing the Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3 sis packages the installation succeeds.

More in detail the following files were installed:

Directory of C:\...\Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3\Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3

25.01.2011 19:16 <DIR> .
    25.01.2011 19:16 <DIR> ..
    08.10.2010 10:18 10ÿ136 qmlfolderlistmodelplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 11ÿ872 qmlgesturesplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 17ÿ088 qmlparticlesplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 127ÿ800 qmlviewer.sis
    11.10.2010 11:12 4ÿ448ÿ736 qtwebkit_2_1.SIS
    08.10.2010 10:18 6ÿ512ÿ648 qt_4_7_0_opengl.SIS

The files are developers versions, but seems to be quite stable and most importantly fix the Ovi store problem - at least for me...

In terms of resolving the -10256 error seen when trying to re-install a Qt 4.6.3 sis onto an N8, these comments on the Qt defects DB may be of use.

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-17252

Not related really, that bug was originally reported by a user (developer?) who attempted to install a SIS file which was not intended for use on a Symbian^3 phone.The later comment describes the procedure described here alrady, except that it is using the wrong version of Qt Mobility.
    -- Lucian

Hi, I would like to inform you all that i have resolved the issue as Navifirm is providing the firmware for Nokia N8 which has 2 files missing and if u flash ur handset by clicking on continue, then u will loose all the data and ovi store too. What i did was to locate that missing file on the internet and then copying it to the location of the firmware, then flashed my handset.

I got Ovi store pre installed in my Nokia N8.. It just took 10 min to flash using Phoenix.

If anyone wants then i can post the file here for the help…
    Thanks

Hi,

Can you please post those files, I have struggling with this issue for sometime, no forums, blogs has any solution, and as usual Nokia is sleeping.

Thanks.