×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Installer?)

    Hi,

    after a HardReset on the Nokia N8-00 Ovi Store cannot be installed. C.\data\swilog.log logs "Ovi Store Installer: failed with -1". I manually installed Qt from the zip package available at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...eloper_version I tried 4.6 first and 4.7 afterwards but this doesn't help.

    Does Ovi Store require Smart Installer? If so, where can i download it and how to install it as a standalone package (or can someone create a wrapper file with ovi store and si?).

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    If Ovi Store should make use of the Smart Installer for their own client's distribution that is something that Ovi Store's development team will have to decide and make the appropriate changes. On your side there are several things you can do:
    - don't format the phone
    - if however you did so, install Qt 4.6 (from the above mentioned location, but not also Qt 4.7) and Qt Mobility 1.0.2 (from the SDK)
    - if despite this the installation fails, take the phone to an authorised Nokia service point and have the firmware re-flashed on your device, including the UDA component.
    -- Lucian

    If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Thanks for your reply. There is not technical Ovi Store support. The only support is for payments / subscriptions - they don't have a clue about those technical information.

    - the problem with most Nokia phones is that at some point you have to format them. I had to do it because the phone starts to lag everywhere even without any app running and im not running into a service point only because nokia is too lazy to get their software running well.
    - i tried installing Qt 4.6 from that package but it doesn't help. 4.7 also does not help. The problem with that developer package is that its not working at all. Perhaps because its a developer and not a end-user version.
    - it is very annoying that a) the N8 firmware is not complete - otherwise doing a hardreset wouldn't cause such errors and b) only a premium service point can help; its not 1980, Firmware OTA, etc. Nokia could easily provide the missing software parts via internet or phone update app. Most service points are flashing phones using NSU; this does not help. Whats the UDA component? Do they know what to do?

    1) the Qt version on the N8 is 4.6.2 and not 4.6.3 which is shipped in that developer package!
    2) Every Qt version from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 cannot be installed. The installation is aborted because of an error. 4.7.1 can be installed; instead of that error and aborting the installation it tells you that upgrading is not possible (same error code).


    Symbian is really freaked up and someone should clean it up. Nokia tried so by getting rid of all these different versions but already did it wrong. Pen Input Server on N8 is different than on C7 (both Symbian^3) thus there are two different versions of Swype for these devices. How about releasing a small update? No, Nokia is sleeping - again.

  4. #4
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    3,209

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    I'd suggest you try to find someone with a "virgin" N8 and have them record for you the precise packages and versions installed. Then you can see if you can find the same.

    AFAIK, Ovi Store is not Qt, and shouldn't require Qt to be installed. It may require one of the Qt prereqs like OpenC, though.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Thats a good idea. I already thought about that. The problem is that some (most?) software packages are not shown, like Qt.

    After doing a HardReset nothing is installed. Reflashing the firmware using NSU installs SeConUpdater 1.12(0) and Service Controllers 1.75(0). Connecting the device to Ovi Suite installs the following DS Plugins: Contacts Group 1.23(0), Media 1.21(0), MMS 1.35(0), SMS 1.15(0) and installing Qt 4.7.1 (ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/symbian/4...._installer.sis) gives you QtWebKit 4.07(1), OpenC LIBSSL Common 1.07(0) and Patch 1.07(0), Standard C++ library Common 1.07(0) and Patch 1.07(0) and Upgrade for OpenC LIBZ Support Files 1.07(0).

    After the Qt installation is done, can i "uninstall" Qt installer? It requires 12 MB phone memory. I checked the installation protocol but this only shows Qt installer and not it contents like OpenC LIBSSL Common, etc. Why?

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    Thanks for your reply. There is not technical Ovi Store support. The only support is for payments / subscriptions - they don't have a clue about those technical information.

    - the problem with most Nokia phones is that at some point you have to format them. I had to do it because the phone starts to lag everywhere even without any app running and im not running into a service point only because nokia is too lazy to get their software running well.
    I have not noticed such lag and, if one does indeed exist, caused by some memory leak, a reboot of the device should fix it ...
    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    - i tried installing Qt 4.6 from that package but it doesn't help. 4.7 also does not help. The problem with that developer package is that its not working at all. Perhaps because its a developer and not a end-user version.
    Indeed, a developer release is to be used by developers only, and may have side effects. Still, I see no reason for it not to work in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    - it is very annoying that a) the N8 firmware is not complete - otherwise doing a hardreset wouldn't cause such errors and b) only a premium service point can help; its not 1980, Firmware OTA, etc. Nokia could easily provide the missing software parts via internet or phone update app. Most service points are flashing phones using NSU; this does not help. Whats the UDA component? Do they know what to do?.
    The firmware is complete but modular and the module containing Qt (the UDA component) is not delivered via NSU since it was not seen as needed. The problem is now known and some corrective action will be taken with the next firmware release.
    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    1) the Qt version on the N8 is 4.6.2 and not 4.6.3 which is shipped in that developer package!
    The Qt version in N8 is 4.6.4 and the developer package contains the same version.
    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    2) Every Qt version from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 cannot be installed. The installation is aborted because of an error. 4.7.1 can be installed; instead of that error and aborting the installation it tells you that upgrading is not possible (same error code).
    There are some upgrading tricks which I won't discuss here, but I have seen blog posts recommending the usage of the developer packages to recover from hard reset and the installation was reported as successful and that is also matching my expectations. Also remember to install Qt Mobility, the Ovi Store will need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    Symbian is really freaked up and someone should clean it up. Nokia tried so by getting rid of all these different versions but already did it wrong. Pen Input Server on N8 is different than on C7 (both Symbian^3) thus there are two different versions of Swype for these devices. How about releasing a small update? No, Nokia is sleeping - again.
    If you think that making an announcement solves the problem the next day, you’re in for a disappointment again. Symbian^3, Symbian now, will evolve and improve but that is something to look for in the next firmware releases and not in the ones already released. If you are working for Swype please do send me [a private message with] the details of what makes N8 and C7 require significant changes in your code.
    -- Lucian

    If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

  7. #7
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    9,555

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Quote Originally Posted by an3k View Post
    Why?
    Because Nokia messed up the N8 and Symbian^3/Qt and Ovi Store and Ovi Maps for the N8; i.e., reformat of the device seems to put it in a state where there are no suitable installers that can reinstall them properly by a phone user. I bet it'll be fixed in the next firmware update, but for now, it is best to avoid reformatting the N8 (just reset it by the 8 second power on/off key press, if you have to). If you've already reformatted it, a Nokia service/repair center should be able to reflash it so that it works again with Ovi Store and Maps.

  8. #8
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    3,209

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    A hard reset shouldn't remove any packages that aren't installable and shown on the installed application list.

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    There are three reset levels and different things are removed on each step. The current situation is such that a hard reset, and in certain conditions also a deep RFS (*#7370#), would cause the removal of some libraries. The issue is known and fixable.
    -- Lucian

    If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    ltomuta, thank you for taking care about this problem. Your help is much appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    I have not noticed such lag and, if one does indeed exist, caused by some memory leak, a reboot of the device should fix it ...
    I already tried that but it didn't helped. Before i did a HardReset i already knew about the problems i would have after doing so but it was the last thing i could do.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The firmware is complete but modular and the module containing Qt (the UDA component) is not delivered via NSU since it was not seen as needed. The problem is now known and some corrective action will be taken with the next firmware release.
    Can't you just repack the current firmware with every software component which got shipped with the N8 except the user content like movie trailers, etc. and release that (same firmware version 011.012) via NSU? This would help us very much since we wouldn't get into trouble or have to visit a service point.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The Qt version in N8 is 4.6.4 and the developer package contains the same version.
    Are you absolutely sure that 4.6.4 is definitely the correct version? http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...cations/N8-00/ states its 4.6.3 while http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications states its 4.6.2 Yes, you are right, 4.6.4 is shipped with that developer package!

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There are some upgrading tricks which I won't discuss here, but I have seen blog posts recommending the usage of the developer packages to recover from hard reset and the installation was reported as successful and that is also matching my expectations. Also remember to install Qt Mobility, the Ovi Store will need it.
    Ok, to start from scratch i did a HalfReset (*#7370#) and a HardReset afterwards, then i connected my device to Ovi Suite (to get the DS Plugins, SeConUpdater and Service Controllers). After that i installed Qt 4.6.4 and Qt WebKit 4.6.4 from that developer package. Now i tried to install Qt Mobility (ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/add-ons/qt...kia-signed.sis) but the installation is not possible because of the following error: "Installation not possible. Qt version 4.7.0 or higher required". If i install Qt 4.7.0 or 4.7.1 some components cannot be upgraded. If i then try to install Qt Mobility it states that Qt is not installed and the installation is aborted.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    If you think that making an announcement solves the problem the next day, you’re in for a disappointment again. Symbian^3, Symbian now, will evolve and improve but that is something to look for in the next firmware releases and not in the ones already released.
    You are right. Those issues cannot be solved within a week but i still can't trust Nokia not only because of what happened with earlier devices like the N97 (are you aware of that music player problem?) but also what happened with the N8 (you said it yourself; someone thought including the UDA component into the firmware is not needed). I really hope that Nokia will change its previous behavior! If the device isn't a fail like the N97 or (in small parts) the N8 i really love Nokia products. However, Nokia really has to change the whole software part (if you want i could send you a message with more details about what's annoying customers); even being very disappointed i still try to help Nokia getting back where they were years ago. I hope Nokia accept help!

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    If you are working for Swype please do send me [a private message with] the details of what makes N8 and C7 require significant changes in your code.
    I'm not but i'll inform one of the developers from whom i got that information about the differences in N8 and C7.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There are three reset levels and different things are removed on each step. The current situation is such that a hard reset, and in certain conditions also a deep RFS (*#7370#), would cause the removal of some libraries. The issue is known and fixable.
    Just for everyones information
    *#7780# = SoftReset (factory settings)
    *#7370# = HalfReset (deleting phone and mass memory + factory settings)
    [Volume down] + [Camera] + [Menu] = HardReset (formating phone and mass memory + reinstalling firmware)

    I didn't know that a HalfReset could "destroy" the N8 too. Can you tell us under which conditions this could happen?

    EDIT: Qt 4.7.0 (ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/symbian/4...._installer.sis) cannot be installed. Installation of PIPS installer is aborted with error -10256; this cause other installations to be aborted too.
    Qt 4.7.1 (ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/symbian/4...._installer.sis) cannot be installed. While the installation is running i receive the following informations:
    PIPS Installer is not upgradable (-10256), continue anyway?
    Qt is not upgradable (-10256), continue anyway?
    QtWebKit is not upgradable (-10256), continue anyway?

    PIPS does not get installed. Qt does not get installed, QtWebKit does get installed. If i then try to install Qt Mobility it states that Qt is missing and asks if i want to install anyway. Ovi Store still cannot be installed. Can you PLEASE write a short Guide with links to the software components we need to install? Thanks!
    Last edited by an3k; 2011-01-07 at 12:07.

  11. #11
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    An3k, the NSU offering is part of the end-user support and something that Nokia Care takes care of. If they see enough demand for a solution regading this problem, I am sure they will create one. Until then, "regular" users will have to use the Nokia Care service points while developers and "power users" can make use of the additional resources Forum Nokia provides in order to hack together a "solution". I want again to make it clear that there is still a distiction, thin as it is, between what a Nokia product is (with bugs affecting it and its applications, the end-user support and the overall consumer satisfaction story) and what the developer offering is for that same device (affected or not by said bugs and support/maintenance issues). Forum Nokia caters only for the later.

    Regarding the Qt version, the phone has 4.6.4, but since the public Qt SDK release is based on 4.6.3 the communication on the FN tech specks was aligned to that, so developers can use the Qt 4.6.3 [based] SDK and not look for a Qt 4.6.4 SDK. The product specifications on Nokia.com seem to have wrong info, I'll send them a message about this.

    Once you install Qt 4.6.4 then the Qt Mobility package to install on device is 1.0.2 and not 1.1.0 since the later does indeed require Qt 4.7.x. I did asked for all the Qt Mobility sis files to be made available to the ftp server but last I checked they were not there so you will have to take Qt Mobility 1.0.2 for Symbian^3 from the Nokia Qt SDK.

    The "half reset" may also cause removal of Qt & Qt Mobility if said components are installed on other drive than C:\. The impact of this defect is limited, mostly afecting developers, if they are installing for example the Qt 4.7 package which gives a drive selection option.
    -- Lucian

    If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Tired to have surfed the net until almost all has a smart post that solutions that do not work yesterday i downloaded the 900MB SDK Nokia Qt to use a 10 MB file does not work either with fhonex narfin. These are trick video that appear talked to Nokia they know the problem or I'm going to help or hope the next update god knows quando.moro in Brazil and not mastered English. unity is strength I hope you will join to push the Nokia. I can only wait.
    Thank Ronaldo

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    I am not a developer I am only an advanced user I have several Nokia smarthephone all I've done them all and never went to care. Before the Hard Reset did a backup. I've done everything. Ovi maps already installed 3.6 it works well. And that without the Ovi store I can not download anything. Since that November day and night I seek a solution. All the places I was shown that solutions do not work. Do not want to get technical assistance because it would give another reset to protect my personal files I can only hope the long awaited UPDATE. sorry I wrote with help from Google tradutor.Thank you!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    Hi,

    I did *#7370# for N8-00 and faced the problem that some apps including Ovi store did not start. As discussed here the ovi store cannot be re-installed after reset.
    But after installing the Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3 sis packages the installation succeeds.

    More in detail the following files were installed:

    Directory of C:\...\Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3\Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3

    25.01.2011 19:16 <DIR> .
    25.01.2011 19:16 <DIR> ..
    08.10.2010 10:18 10ÿ136 qmlfolderlistmodelplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 11ÿ872 qmlgesturesplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 17ÿ088 qmlparticlesplugin.sis
    08.10.2010 10:18 127ÿ800 qmlviewer.sis
    11.10.2010 11:12 4ÿ448ÿ736 qtwebkit_2_1.SIS
    08.10.2010 10:18 6ÿ512ÿ648 qt_4_7_0_opengl.SIS

    The files are developers versions, but seems to be quite stable and most importantly fix the Ovi store problem - at least for me...

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: N8-00 Ovi Store not installable after HardReset (because of missing Smart Install

    In terms of resolving the -10256 error seen when trying to re-install a Qt 4.6.3 sis onto an N8, these comments on the Qt defects DB may be of use.

    http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-17252

Similar Threads

  1. Launch Ovi Store from within a QT app (N8)
    By KevinD in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2011-01-31, 16:12
  2. New ovi store client. at least for N8
    By xlazom00 in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2010-12-06, 20:24
  3. Where is the Ovi-Certified smart installer sis
    By tamhanna in forum [Archived] Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2010-07-02, 20:01
  4. Publish to OVI using stripped down Qt static bin, Smart Installer release date?
    By marksmithdev in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-05-18, 11:21
  5. Nokia N8 - Ovi Store - Compatibility
    By Koinup in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2010-05-06, 04:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×