Discussion Board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFC Symbian3

Super Contributor

Re: NFC Symbian3

At this moment it is like this. It will be changed when Nokia declare it publicly.

You send me a provate message with your email, we can find a way to help you.

mahbub_s60 I'm unable to send you a private message because the system says you have choosen not to receive private messages. Can you please change this option or indicate me an alternative?

Best regards,
    Nuno Marujo

mahbub_s60, I just wanted to try the NFC in our applications. Technical Support Nokia did not really answer. I live in Russia. Model С7 is sold in our stores. Is there an opportunity to put on this phone is the firmware version that supports the NFC? I would be very grateful to you for your help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can find information about NFC support on Nokia devices at http://www.forum.nokia.com/NFC
    At this moment Nokia C7 and Nokia C7 Astound are the two Symbian^3 smartphones supporting NFC but only the later has it enabled in the firmware. A firmware update (the announced Symbian Anna release) will bring NFC to the C7's already on the market as well, but the exact release date for this firmware has not been announced.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hello,

After read a lot of about Symbian an NFC. I dowloaded the lastest version of Qt SDK and installed on my computer, later I began to develop my application for C7, but the problem is that the latest version of Qt SDK from 21th of June 2011, include QtMobility 1.1.3, and I need 1.2 to include NFC funcionality in my applications. Anyone know how I can obtain this API, because I have navegated for all the web and I cant find it.

Thank you.

Pilar.

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/12/...-2-0-released/

it will not work for testing on a real C7 yet, but according to Nokia Conversations, the update starts rolling out in July, an everyone will get it "by the end of August"...

//edit, almost forgot:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...ian_3_SDK.html

this might be required by the QtSDK for NFC development, though I have not managed to make it all work yet...
    Last edited by sebastianschaper; 2011-06-27 at 12:53.

Thank you Sebastian,

Why do you think that is is not possible to test it in a real C7? Some people have C7 with NFC availabe, I know some of them. Unfortunately, my C7 dont have the appropiate firmaware, the 1.2, but Perhaps I can test my application on their mobiles phones. Or you tell me this for any other reason?.

Thank you again.

Pilar.

if you have the C7 Astound (RM-691, Firmware 20.37), then it might actually work already.
    but here in Europe, we still have to wait for Nokia to release the Update before we can start developing =(
    (and it seems that even the newly-shipped C7's in July will have Symbian Anna even before it will be available for older phones)

according to comments from Qt developers, they are already testing with a Firmware called 022.002* (on RM-675 I assume, i.e. the "real" C7), but I guess you need at least a Forum Nokia Pro account to buy a prototype device from Nokia, that comes with the new (Beta) Firmware.
    But I already have two C7s, and I won't buy yet another one just because they won't give us the update =(

*http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTMOBILITY-1648

//maybe I should add that I have already tried the NFC examples from the QtSDK on my RM-675 014.002 (after installing QtMobility 1.2 Beta .sis package), it runs on the phone but cannot access actual NFC tags, the functionality is still missing in the firmware.
    Last edited by sebastianschaper; 2011-06-27 at 13:41.

Super Contributor

Hello,

014.002 is too old SW for NFC.
    I think you can loan devices from Forum Nokia (you don't buy it) and return it to Nokia after testing your app. You have to member (probably pro or launchpad)

Quote Originally Posted by mahbub_s60 View Post
    I think you can loan devices from Forum Nokia (you don't buy it) and return it to Nokia after testing your app. You have to member (probably pro or launchpad)
    actually, Launchpad, that's what it was called. But I think this is intended for commercial software companies rather than just students wanting to play with NFc int heir free time, so i will wait...

seriously considering to get a Nexus S though, they were not affordable when I bought my C7 almost half a year ago (hoping it would be NFC-ready soon) - but now they sell for ~€300 on ebay, hard to resist...

Super Contributor

OK, in this case may be you have to wait a bit more (probably couple of months)

I understand you perfectly Sebastian.

I am a phD european student and I am developing my thesis about NFC interaction, I have participated in several NFC Congress, but when I have needed some help of Nokia related to C7 I have aways obtained the same answers: "C7 dont have NFC", ours C7 can not work with NFC, then we can not test our NFC application.

Some people even said that it is posible to send some APDUs over the 14443 interface of our C7, that it worked fine and I dont know how, because the Qt Mobility dont say nothing about it, only explain how to use NDEF messanges.

Well, we have to wait until end of August.

P.D. : In addition, we have several Nexus S, and are the best. We had to do something while wait the firmware for C7.
    Last edited by mpilar; 2011-06-27 at 17:20.

Quote Originally Posted by mpilar View Post
    Some people even said that it is posible to send some APDUs over the 14443 interface of our C7
    surely this works, via JSR-257 Contactless Communications API, I've been doing this in Java on a 6131 NFC for almost 2 years, and I even uploaded the same application to a C7 Astound on forum.nokia.com/rda and it initializes without problem, so that Java NFC API will definitely be supported; it's just hard to play with real physical ISO14443-cards when the phone is somewhere in Finland...

It's not that many developers (and lots of consumers, reading conversations.nokia.com) are mad at Nokia for delaying an update when it has not yet reached the expected quality, but for prioritizing others (e.g. T-Mobile US users, and probably even those who buy a brand new C7 here in Europe, starting from July), while those who were the first to buy these devices will be the last to receive the update.

inb4 Elop-came-from-MS-to-destroy-Nokia conspiracy...

Thank you Sebastian. I knew that was possible with JRS-257, but not that it is possible use this API in C7. I have always searched information about NFC and Qt, QML but not about Java.

Pilar.

I managed to compile, install and run an NFC - application on the C7-00 using the old s40-SDK. But the s60-SDK does not support 257.