Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFC Symbian3

Hybrid View

NFC Symbian3

Hello, anyone has or know the source of NFC for Symbian3??

And, anyone could tell me the instructions to make an application to Symbian3??
    Thanks.

Re: NFC Symbian3

If you're developing in Qt, there is the Qt Mobility project, which contains the "Connectivity API":
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1...ivity-api.html

It is still considered a technology preview at the moment, so not everything is implemented yet.

But I think also Java (JSR-257) will be supported, once the first Symbian^3 NFC Phone (i.e. the Firmware Update for C7-00) will be out.

Hello, anyone know when will be available the update to use NFC in C7. I have a C7 and I can not use NFC because I need PR2 in my software. I had written and phoned to Nokia. But they only answer that cant help me, and I dont know why.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

From where did you get the C7 devices?
    In forum nokia project page there are new SDK and pluings for NFC but if you want to access it you need to be project member, probably if you contact forum nokia that may be useful.

mahbub_s60, I just wanted to try the NFC in our applications. Technical Support Nokia did not really answer. I live in Russia. Model С7 is sold in our stores. Is there an opportunity to put on this phone is the firmware version that supports the NFC? I would be very grateful to you for your help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can find information about NFC support on Nokia devices at http://www.forum.nokia.com/NFC
    At this moment Nokia C7 and Nokia C7 Astound are the two Symbian^3 smartphones supporting NFC but only the later has it enabled in the firmware. A firmware update (the announced Symbian Anna release) will bring NFC to the C7's already on the market as well, but the exact release date for this firmware has not been announced.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Mahbub,

Thanks for your attention. We buy ours C7 in Spain. We visited ours Nokia care shop and they never listen nothing about NFC and C7, and they do not have the update for ours C7, and they dont know nothing about PR2 that contain the functionality to use NFC in C7. We can not activate NFC because in connectivity dont appear.

What can I do?, Write some emails ? We download SDKs and Qt, but the update that we need are from ours mobile phones.

Thanks.
    Pilar.

Super Contributor

It looks you have to wait a bit more. I think NFC is not officilly annouced yet.

Hi everyone.

Anyone was able to develop programs using NFC for C7?

Best Regards,
    Nuno Marujo

The C7 "Astound" (RM-691, with Firmware 020.037) is now available at Remote Device Access.

I tried uploading an Application using JSR-257 ISO14443Connection, and it initializes without Errors
    (i.e. TargetListener for ISO14443 was set properly, though you can't test with real tags on RDA of course...)

I wonder if Mifare Classic Tags are also supported yet, and if there is already a way of using the QtMobility 1.2 NFC capabilities (there still seem to be no Symbian binaries for 1.2 yet).

The problem is that I don't find the supposed API classes at javax.microedition.contactless. Don't they came with the Symbian^3 SDK by default? Are they installed as a plugin?

Best regards,
    Nuno Marujo

I used the 6212 NFC SDK to compile my application, but I see it is discontinued, and really difficult to find (probably no longer included in the search index...)
    But you can still download it though
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...2_NFC_SDK.html

I guess there will be a "real" up-to-date NFC SDK soon though, for both Java and Qt, so you're not limited to the S40 3rd Edition Java functionality...
    Last edited by sebastianschaper; 2011-04-02 at 12:58.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Best Regards,
    Nuno Marujo

Hello,

After read a lot of about Symbian an NFC. I dowloaded the lastest version of Qt SDK and installed on my computer, later I began to develop my application for C7, but the problem is that the latest version of Qt SDK from 21th of June 2011, include QtMobility 1.1.3, and I need 1.2 to include NFC funcionality in my applications. Anyone know how I can obtain this API, because I have navegated for all the web and I cant find it.

Thank you.

Pilar.

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/12/...-2-0-released/

it will not work for testing on a real C7 yet, but according to Nokia Conversations, the update starts rolling out in July, an everyone will get it "by the end of August"...

//edit, almost forgot:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...ian_3_SDK.html

this might be required by the QtSDK for NFC development, though I have not managed to make it all work yet...
    Last edited by sebastianschaper; 2011-06-27 at 12:53.