Discussion Board

Question Can i route wifi packets to GPRS network in Nokia E71

Hello,

I don't know how to configure Nokia E71 for NAT(Network address translator).
    I have two Nokia E71 mobiles I want to route wifi traffic to GPRS network to other mobile. Other side the GPRS traffic routed to WiFi traffic.

" Data ---->Wifi n/w ---> Mobile (Nokia E71) ----->GPRSn/w ---> Mobile(Nokia E71)---> wifin/w--> data"

it is like NAT in mobile can i configure it in Nokia E71 or i need to develop a new application to achieve this.
    Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Vijender

Super Contributor

Re: Can i route wifi packets to GPRS network in Nokia E71

There's no built-in support for such. There's add-on software, though: JoikuSpot

Is there any free applications are available. or IS there any documents or tutorial to develop the application.

Super Contributor

As far as I know, there's no particular Symbian-specific tutorials, documentation or examples available for writing your own TCP/IP router/gateway on Symbian; you have to figure it out yourself from router/gateway code for other operating systems, and adapt that to Symbian based on the basic Symbian SDK documentation, or the Symbian^3 source code.

I'd say, that you shouldn't try to tackle a task of this magnitude as your first Symbian project, but feel free to try, if you wish. Also, if you really need the functionality, it is probably much, much easier and faster to gather the funds and buy a copy of JoikuSpot, as it is only 9EUR, which is a small fraction of the cost of the phone you have bought.

Thank you for your reply.
    Actually we need to encrypt the packet at the router(i.e in Mobile). JoikuSpot is not providing this. That's why i am trying for opensource or own development.
    I tried in the google i didn't find any thing. Could you please tell me is there any way to encrypt the packet in the wifi router(Mobile phone).

Regards,
    Vijender

Super Contributor

If you want to encrypt data comms between two parties (like a server and your phone app), by far, the easiest way is to use HTTPS (SSL/TLS) as the platforms have built-in support for it.

Other than that, you could encrypt your "payload" data separately, and decrypt it at the other end yourself. There are data encryption/decryption libraries for Symbian 9.*, which is what the E71 is based on.