Discussion Board

The best IDE to use for Qt

Hi all,

I am new to Qt and I would like to know your expertice on which IDE to use when developing Qt applications for mobile devices.
    option 1: Carbide C++ with Qt for Symbian
    option 2: Qt Creator

Since Qt is cross platform then I should be able to target symbian and meego devices.
    But for now since there are no meego devices yet available I would like to start on symbian and hopefully when meego arrives, it will be included as well.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: The best IDE to use for Qt

Qt Creator is propably the best, unless you feel that you would be more familiar with teh Carbide, though I would suppose Qt Creator will have better future support.

I would vote for QT Creator. I used both and I would recommend QT Creator for QT developement.
    And as mentioned in:
    http://qt.nokia.com/products/developer-tools/
    "Qt Creator is a cross-platform integrated development environment (IDE) tailored to the needs of Qt developers"

Best regards,
    Mido

Super Contributor

Unfortunately it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. Carbide is no longer supported, hard to initially configure (especially since the how-to-configure documentation has been deleted by the Symbian thugs), and will likely become unusable for new SDKs in the next year or two. However, Carbide is pretty stable once configured correctly, and its emulator is by far superior to Creator's simulator.

Creator is "supported", supposedly easier to configure, and presumably will remain usable for a few years. However, configuration problems with it are incredibly common, it often doesn't work well when you need to include Symbian C++ code, and its overall stability is poor.

its emulator is by far superior to Creator's simulator.
    I could not agree more! I just invoke the S60 SDK emulators from Qt creator using THESE instructions.

Cheers,
    Jon

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Just a follow up question.
    1. Can the project made in Carbide C++ with Qt for Symbian opened or exported to Qt Creator and vice versa?

We all know that Qt is cross platform but for the benefit of the doubt I am just going to ask this one.
    Since I will be starting the development with symbian devices.
    2. What are the things that I need to consider for meego devices before I proceed with the development?
    3. Will the application I built for symbian run flawlessly on meego devices?

Thanks again
    Last edited by dackyD; 2011-01-04 at 08:35.

Super Contributor

I've been able, in the past, to open and build/run uncomplicated projects in both IDEs (though obviously not both simultaneously). (I'd generally do a clean before switching.) Can't say that it works in the general case, though.

You can always produce an app that is device-dependent. Making one device-independent takes a little bit of forethought.