Discussion Board

Which platform for mobile development?

I have to develop an application which requires Bluetooth and profile change functionality for Symbian phones. After spending sometime I found that following options:

1. Java: but java does not allow to change profile

2. Symbian C++: I read basics for Symbian C++ and created some basic stuffs. Symbian extended APIs provide simple APIs for Profile and Bluetooth (I haven't tested yet). But its required lot of efforts to grab these. Specially certificate singing problem. I want to test my application on different devices and wish to give my friends whom having different cellphones. But couldn't due to signing problem.

3. QT: I am still confused on this. Whether this platform capable to fulfill my requirement or not. Secondly which phone supports QT or not...

Honestly, I am bit frustrated while writing this. I am looking someone, experience in these matter, to guide me in this situation.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Which platform for mobile development?

don't get frustrated we are here to help you.
    first you need to make the app design
    1. For which device are you building the app.
    2. How much time you have for this app development.
    3. what are the functionality you want to add in the project.

Now look at this.
    1. Regarding functionality purpose , Symbian C++ will have all the functionality which may or may not be there in J2ME or Qt.
    2. Symbian C++ will take more time to grab than that of J2ME and Qt.
    3. Symbian C++ can support all the deivce by default, but Qt will not. ( Presently N8 had the inbuild Qt lib in it)

Super Contributor

Profile management excludes using Java (no APIs).

Note sure if Qt has any profile management APIs via Qt Mobility or otherwise, but you can mix and use Symbian C++ APIs for such bits, if using Qt otherwise is easier/enough for your needs.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Profile management excludes using Java (no APIs).

Note sure if Qt has any profile management APIs via Qt Mobility or otherwise, but you can mix and use Symbian C++ APIs for such bits, if using Qt otherwise is easier/enough for your needs.
    Just to curiosity I would like to know, if i mix symbian C++ API into Qt and then make the sis file, I belive we need Qt lib in the device to run this app, or it will run as symbian apps does?
    Could you please share me any like how to combine Symbian C++ with Qt, cause I would also like to explore on the same, it would be raelly interesting.

Super Contributor

If you use any Qt calls/libraries mixed with Symbian C++ or not, the phone you intend to run the app on, must have Qt installed (by you, by Nokia Smart Installer, or by someone/something else).

Nokia Developer Champion

If you use any Qt calls/libraries mixed with Symbian C++ or not, the phone you intend to run the app on, must have Qt installed (by you, by Nokia Smart Installer, or by someone/something else).
    could you please share me any link where we are learn how to mix Qt and Symbian C++.
    What is Nokia Smart Installer. I have installed the Qt sis file and then installed my Qt app, and that works, is there any other way of installing Qt apps?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    could you please share me any link where we are learn how to mix Qt and Symbian C++.
    There used to be a pretty good writeup on mixing Qt and Symbian C++, but the Symbian thugs have removed it.

Can we install QT on S60 3.0 or 3.1?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mqpasta View Post
    Can we install QT on S60 3.0 or 3.1?
    Not on any S60 3.0 phones, but you can on most S60 3.1 models (excluding the N96, at least, as it has an ARMv5 CPU, which can't handle the ARMv6 Qt binaries for Symbian/S60).