Discussion Board

Thread: Why Qt ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Why Qt ?

Hi,
    I have some question regarding Qt.
    These days I find most of the symbian developers are working on Qt is it because it is easy then Symbian C++ or we can make good UI using Qt?
    1. How long Nokia will use in Symbian OS.
    2. If a developer knows Symbian C++ , is it time for him to start Qt cause of marker demands.
    3. Will Nokia being Qt in all of the coming device as in N8.
    4. Will Nokia concentrate more on Qt rather than on Symbian C++ apps.
    5. Does Qt has all the features as that of Symbian C++

Please suggest me.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Why Qt ?

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    Hi,
    I have some question regarding Qt.
    These days I find most of the symbian developers are working on Qt is it because it is easy then Symbian C++ or we can make good UI using Qt?
    I'm no Symbian guru, but from what I hear, Qt is much more friendly than classic Symbian development.

1. How long Nokia will use in Symbian OS.
    That will depend on market demand, but it seems it will be quite a long time (note - do not confuse Symbian with S60).
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...-live-symbian/

2. If a developer knows Symbian C++ , is it time for him to start Qt cause of marker demands.
    Yes. Not necessarily switch completely for production use, but certainly to be able to establish migration paths or pain points. Whether it's already good enough to switch depends primarily on what features they are using and how complete their implementations are.

3. Will Nokia being Qt in all of the coming device as in N8.
    Yes, except for low end devices (like S40).

4. Will Nokia concentrate more on Qt rather than on Symbian C++ apps.
    Yes.

5. Does Qt has all the features as that of Symbian C++
    Not yet. The Symbian platform has a long and rich history on mobile devices, so the newcomer, Qt, does not yet have 100% coverage regarding Symbian features. The plan, however, certainly is to minimize Symbian (or any other plaform dependent) code as new Qt releases are made.

Nokia Developer Champion

thanks for your reply, i went through the link.
    1. It means in future Nokia will bring Qt in all the latest and old version of Symban Devices.
    2. Nokia wants a single development platform like Nokia Symbian handset, Nokia MeeGo handset.
    3. But Symbian C++ will be there but will not support on all the platforms like the S40 and MeeGo, but S60 devices will support symbian C++ also along with Qt.

I am not clear with the S60 and Sybmain C++
    4.I believe symbian C++ is the language for Symbian OS and S60 symbian platform.
    5. does S40 use Symbian C++?

Super Contributor

Series 40 (S40) is not based on Symbian at all, but a Nokia proprietary real-time operating system. Series 40 does not allow any native (C/C++) development (with or without Qt). The primary app development for Series 40 based phones is Java (JME, J2ME, MIDP/CLDC), or Flash Lite.

Qt is supported on the later Symbian/S60 based devices and maemo (and will also be supported on MeeGo, which is the Linux based operting system replacing/superceding maemo).