Discussion Board

Qt multi language applications

Hi,
    I want to make my application work in different languages, but simple Qt application softkeys are generated in English even if my phone language is other (Latvian).

when i was starting to search about possibilities to make my multi language application, i faced some problems. Maybe someone can help me to figure out how this works:

1) how can i put to my button text with special characters like ā,ē or €. i have tried QString:FromUtf8("ā"), but it didn't work - appeared square

2) how can i rename "Options" menu with custom title OR inherit text from phone "Options" menu text

3) how can i use QLinguist to translate my strings

if someone can help with some example or a good guide how to do this, i would be very grateful

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Qt multi language applications

Rule of thumb - do not use non-ASCII text in your code. It might appear simpler at first, but is, as you've discovered, quick to lead you to problems. What are the alternatives ?

1) See http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._symbols_in_Qt for quick and dirty way to avoid single characters

2 and 3) See http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/widgets-...tkeys-cpp.html on how to use softkeys, and http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/i18n-so...anslation.html for details on the tr() mechanism.

PS And of course make sure that the font you are using actually HAS the characters you're interested in (even though you might have the option of a language it does not guarantee that ALL fonts have the characters for it).

Thanks for your reply, i will check your recommendations

i know how to set custom QAction on left(positive) and right(negative) sides, but how to add QMenu to left side or to replace default "Options" which Title is always "Options"