Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Help Please: Project: SMS + GPS system

Hello

I am just starting on a project and need some guidance. From reading postings I know others have attempted similar if not the same project:

Project Description:

A cellular user (using Nokia 6160 Digital PCS DualMode DualBand 800MHz/1900MHz TDMA) dials a psuedo-emergency phone number.
    The event of dialling a the number triggers a microcontroller (Motorola HC12 or 11) to trigger a gps reciever (Ublox GPS-PS1E or GPS-PS1E-AT) for position coordinates.
    Once the position coordinates are recieved the the micro then triggers the mobile to write and send an SMS containing the data to the reciever end.

At the reciever end the SMS is recieved by another 6160 mobile connected to a PC. Software then captures the message and strips it of the data. A GIS then uses the data to display the users location.

My questions and problems:

1. Most information I find is wrt to GSM devices. What is the difference in GSM & PCS in the area of programming (AT commands)etc? ( I am from Ontario Canada GSM is not matured as PCS)

2. Due to sudden financial burdens I have not be able to purchase the second phone. Is there any way to transmitt the SMS to my landline modem in my PC with out the other phone?
    Or are there any type of modem i can buy?
    Is Nokia Card Phone available in Canada?

3. What software should purchase? DataSuite, PC Connectivity SDK? (After this project is complete and I intend to learn more about and do more project in the data wireless solution area so I guess I can start build the tools now)

4. What about some English websites. Most I find are in German

I realize there is much to learn about AT commands and NMEA but that does not concern me. My biggest concern is the reciever end right now followed by getting the SMS sent properly

Your help in much needed and appreciated,

Tim Whitson

Posted by Tim Whitson, twhitson@ford.com
    on February 08, 2002 at 21:24

Super Contributor

RE: Help Please: Project: SMS + GPS system

Posted by Forum Nokia Developer Support,
    on February 15, 2002 at 13:04

1. What is the difference in GSM & TDMA/CDMA in the area of programming (AT commands)etc?

With regards to SMS sending, the AT commands should be very much the same, if not completely the same. And really for this type of service you don't need anything fancier that at+cmgs in TEXT mode.

2. Is there any way to transmitt the SMS to my landline modem in my PC with out the other phone?
    No. One possibility could be to send the SMS to a (commercial) service which would forward the message to an e-mail address, but that may not be appropriate for your application.

Is Nokia Card Phone available in Canada?

Check with your vendors there.

3. What software should purchase?
    PC Connectivity SDK you can download from this site.

Forum Nokia Developer Support

RE: Help Please: Project: SMS + GPS system

I'am from Brazil and are working in something like your project.
    I don't find a way to use SMS in TDMA networks using nokia phones (Try ericsson)

If you want to use a phone like in my application, make a call and use DTMF tones do comunicate whith other phone by the voice channel, or make a data call to a modem in a Central

If you need more informations send a e-mail to rbianchin@hotmail.com