Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uninstalling a password protected when not knowing the password

Hello everyone,

First of all, I should say that I have been searching for a related topic for 5 days to solve my problem but I couldn't find it.

I am using a Nokia X6-00 based on Symbian S60 5th Ed. (Software Version: V 12.0.01)

On 22 Dec, I installed an application which I shouldn't have. I, later on, understood that this application is a cheating application to obtain my banking account password via SMS. When I realized that fact, I started trying to remove the application from my phone but it wanted a password to uninstall it. Of course, I do not know the password required. When I looked at the Open Applications, I saw that the application in which a password is prompted is named as Unipass.

Then I wanted to remove the resource files from the Phone Memory into which I installed the application. To do that, I installed the Y-Browser to see the resource files of the Phone Memory. I found only 5 files related to the application whose name are either Unipass or SMSControl with different extensions like .mif .rsc etc. In one of these files, named Unipass.r01, I saw some writings about password when I opened the file by Text Viewer. (A few words actually as "Unipass" "Password" "OK" "Password protectected uninstall" ...)

Now, I want to ask whether I can see the password inside the resource files. By the way, I noticed that by Y-Browser, I cannot see all the folders like sys, Private etc.

I need your help because I have to get rid of such a stupid application preventing me from using internet banking.

Thanks in advance a lot...
    Last edited by mehmetgns; 2011-01-05 at 15:02.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Uninstalling a password protected when not knowing the password

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Re: Uninstalling a password protected application when not knowing the password

Hi,

Do you still have the original SIS file you installed? Would be interesting to take a look inside, at least to see whether the uninstallation password protection is implemented as in the Forum Nokia wiki article

As for getting rid of the application, have you considered backing the important stuff (phonebook, messages etc) and resetting the phone to factory settings (*#7370#)?

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Hi,

Do you still have the original SIS file you installed? Would be interesting to take a look inside, at least to see whether the uninstallation password protection is implemented as in the Forum Nokia wiki article

As for getting rid of the application, have you considered backing the important stuff (phonebook, messages etc) and resetting the phone to factory settings (*#7370#)?
    No , I don't have the original SIS file. By the way, what is the address of the article you mentioned, it may be useful to read it.

You are right, the best thing to get rid of the application seems to be hard reset the phone, but I really do not want to do it, I don't like backing up all the photos, videos, podcasts, songs, sounds etc. However, that option is still remaining as a last chance in my mind.

Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmetgns View Post
    No , I don't have the original SIS file. By the way, what is the address of the article you mentioned, it may be useful to read it.
    The article is here:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...tion_uninstall

The application you're trying to uninstall probably uses at least the same RR,RW parameters for the exe that's run during uninstallation. RR means that the the file is to be run when uninstalling the package, and RW means that the rest of the uninstallation should not continue before the launched process exits.

From the description in the original message, it seems that the password query application allows you to put itself to background and view the task list. I guess you've already tried to close the application from the task list and it didn't work? What happens when you enter an incorrect password, does it exit or just show an error message forever?

If you have developer certificates for the phone (PowerMgmt capability is needed, so self-signed SIS won't work), you could try writing a small application to kill the process of the password query application, and run this app when the query is active. I'm not sure if this would work, but it's worth a try - if it'll work or not depends on whether the installer cares if the launched RW application exits "normally".

Edit: Seems like open signed online also supports PowerMgmt nowadays, so you won't need developer certs.
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...ignedOnline.do

Nokia Developer Expert

yep, also if you have the certificate, you could try using Y-Tasks, and sign the mainserver, then you can kill processes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    yep, also if you have the certificate, you could try using Y-Tasks, and sign the mainserver, then you can kill processes with it.
    I don't think you understood my situation. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CODING, I am a simple telephone user, If you are gonna help me, you are welcome, otherwise there remains only one thing to say: GOODBYE

Super Contributor

HI,

connect your phone to your computer through nokia pc suite of your phone and do a firmware update. That will remove all the applications installed on your device.
    Please Note:Make sure you backup your data that you require, before doing the firmware update.Otherwise your data will be lost.

Please dont hijack other thread.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by mateen_maldar View Post
    HI,

Please dont hijack other thread.
    I will try that method, I will inform you what happens.

But what do you mean by "hijacking other thread", I could not understand.

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Hi,

i mean you have posted the same query on another thread

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ht=#post808099

which is meant for a different discussion.
    avoid this.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Re: Uninstalling a password protected when not knowing the password

Well, I wanted to delete it, but I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    From the description in the original message, it seems that the password query application allows you to put itself to background and view the task list. I guess you've already tried to close the application from the task list and it didn't work? What happens when you enter an incorrect password, does it exit or just show an error message forever?
    Sorry for the late reply, but I skipped that question: Yes; I can see the application in the task list, and as you guess I have tried to close it, but when I do that, a bar, at the top of which "removing" is written, is filled upto the half of it and then "Unable to delete file" comes for 2 sec. and disappears.

On the other hand, when I enter a wrong password, it does nothing and comes back to "Installed applications" screen.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mehmetgns View Post
    On 22 Dec, I installed an application which I shouldn't have. I, later on, understood that this application is a cheating application to obtain my banking account password via SMS.
    This description is too cryptic. What application you got, from where? Is it really a malware? I see SMSControl and Unipass in the description a bit later, but Google does not provide useful links for such search.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    This description is too cryptic. What application you got, from where? Is it really a malware? I see SMSControl and Unipass in the description a bit later, but Google does not provide useful links for such search.
    I downloaded the application from the link that was inside the SMS message which was sent to me when I entered my telephone number into a web page which was opened by a virus on my computer, while I am trying to log into my Internet banking account. The application's name is "Certificate". When I "view details" of the "Certificate, the informations are below:

Name: Certificate
    Version: 1.00(0)
    Supplier: ANJU MOBILITY
    Memory in use: C:Phone memory
    Application size: 48 kB
    Format: Symbian OS
    Type: Application
    Certificates: View details

Issuer: Symbian CA I. Symbian Limited. GB
    Subject: ANUJ MOBILITY SA INDIA LIMITED, certificate 1.00, Symbian Signed ContentID, IN, West Bengal, Siliguri
    Valid from: 13/12/2010
    Valid until: 13/12/2020
    Serial number: ...
    Fingerprint (SHA1): ...
    Fingerprint (MD5) : ...

Are these information enough for you?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Personally I can not do anything with it, http://www.symbiansigned.com handles signing, and supposed to check validity of applications, etc.
    The funny thing is that their support has moved to this site a couple weeks ago, so I am going to move this thread there, perhaps they can check what this Anju Mobility could be.
    If they classify this software as a malware, there may be a way to overwrite this application with a harmless one (so called "Hello World"), and after that, uninstallation will probably work.