Discussion Board

Disable security prompts

Hi community,

i have a little problem and hope someone can help me!

The situation:
    I have written a Nokia App in Java. This App I’d like to install on some Nokias, but I do not want to publish this App in the Ovi Store.

Now, my problem is if the App starts many security prompts for Network access or GPS and so on appears... My question is: Is there any possibility to get this prompts away, without certificates. I won´t use certificates because if I have to install the app on 20 phones, I have to get 20 certificates that is to labor-intensive and need to much time.

Hopefully I get the right forum!
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Disable security prompts

Quote Originally Posted by hans-maier View Post
    Hi community,

i have a little problem and hope someone can help me!

The situation:
    I have written a Nokia App in Java. This App I’d like to install on some Nokias, but I do not want to publish this App in the Ovi Store.

Now, my problem is if the App starts many security prompts for Network access or GPS and so on appears... My question is: Is there any possibility to get this prompts away, without certificates. I won´t use certificates because if I have to install the app on 20 phones, I have to get 20 certificates that is to labor-intensive and need to much time.

Hopefully I get the right forum!
    Thanks in advance!
    Ovi can sign you app if you submit it to ovi store

Don't you in any case need to give the app rights to access network? I don't think these warnings can be disabled... Those are in the symbian to warn people about unsigned content... Then again I could be wrong, anyone?

I won´t use certificates because if I have to install the app on 20 phones, I have to get 20 certificates that is to labor-intensive and need to much time.
    ????
    A. u dont need 20 certificates for 20 phones.... u need just 1 certificate to sign the app and then distribute it to phones (unless your talking about user certificates which dont come pre-installed on the phone and u want to install a user certificate which i would not recommend because not all phones can do it and its a bad idea in general)
    B. those warning will go off if you sign your content and set the appropriate permissions (they will let the user actually remove the permission by him selecting "allow always" option)
    C. if your not gonna publish it to Ovi then u are in the wrong forum and should post this kind of question in the java dev forum.

Thank for your answers!

@shaii
    this certificates confused me a little bit! If I order a certificate form nokia I can use it for my app on all phones?
    Thanks

you cant "order" certificate from nokia, nokia is not a vendor of certificate however nokia does have its own certificate as part of it being a handset maker and a general legal entity.
    if you want to distribute your app on Ovi then you can ask for nokia to sign the app for you for free ( u dont get the certificate ) and then the app can be distribute via Ovi, you cannot take the signed app and re-distribute it on any other none Ovi channels, if you want to distribute your app on other channels that are not Ovi and need the app to be signed to "remove warnings" then you can obtain a 3rd party java code signing certificate from Thwate / verisign / Javaverified.