Discussion Board

Password protected unistall problem

hi,

I have an application which asks for pwd on uninstall, application keeps running in background and user tries to uninstall the pwd screen from same app comes in foreground, if the pwd is incorrect i want to stop installer and send app in background again, this whole thing works fine firsttime but second time i try to uninstall it , installer doesnt start and system becomes unresponsive for some time especially any programs and menu doesnt start, after some time again device becomes normal but if installer doesnt respond

I am killing the installer task and then sending the app in background after user enters wrong pasword.

Any idea why above problem is seen?

Thanks
    Vishal

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Password protected unistall problem

killiong processes can be unsafe, and should be avoided, try using endtask instead. Also you could check wiki & older discussion on the topic for general problems and suggestions on how you can get it done.

I know the problem its because when uninstaller is trying to uninstall app the application is running in background and uninstaller tries to stop it bt if the pwd entered is wrong then i am stopping uninstaller, but since it uninstaller was trying to stop my application it hangs ,

Can anybody suggest some strategy which will let me stop my app before uninstall and if the pwd eneterd is wrong stop uninstaller and then start app ?

Thanks
    Vishal

Actually ok about above situation i will change it something else, but now what i really need is some way to know if the app is started by user or installer . is there a way to know this ?

Thanks
    Vishal

Nokia Developer Moderator

what about only having the executable started by installer ? then you would not need to determine it anymore.

thanks yucca, let me tell u whole thing program is started in three scenes one by user , second autostart, third uninstaller. as app is started by system autostart, by user to enter settings, and by uninstaller while checking for password.

now please tell me how do i distinguish between these situations ! please advice

vishal

I know ther is a method called as processcommandparametersL which gets called on program startup and we can send some parameters to program , this is what we do to distinguish the manual start from the autostart, can we use something simillar to differentiate start of program ( by uninstaller) ?

Thanks
    Vishal

ok guys thanks a lot,
    finaly what i did is created another EXE to manage pwd , now this exe stops the process before uninstall, so now uninstaller doesnt give mesage about running exe, secondly when uninstall is stopped , by ending uninstaller , this exe start the another main exe again and now things are good, uninstaller happily exits no glitch.

thanks
    Vishal