Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Is it required to register at the Symbian Signed also?

Hi,

I am already registered in the Ovi Publish and had got my first app published thru the beta version on the Ovi publish in July 2010. I need to know a few things to publish my second app now - I already owned a Symbian Signed account before June 2010 because the earlier publish and distribute process required that the developers themselves send the app to the Symbian Signed testing house for testing and then to be certified. Also, the UID to be used in the app was made available by the Symbian Signed only.

Since June 2010, the Symbian Signing process (testing and certifying the app) is being done by the Ovi store for developers registered with them and also, for my first app, I did get a UID from the ovi publish only, but at that time I also had my Symbain Signed account.

Since I have now received a mail for my Symbian Signed account renewal, I need to know if there is any use of owing a Symbian signed account now. Does that mean, those who have a Symbian Signed account no longer need to renew that account for the purpose of application publish at the Ovi Store? Also, those who do not own the Symbian Signed account need not worry?

Regards,
    Supriya Tenany

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is it required to register at the Symbian Signed also?

if you want to keep on using anything from symbian signed, including old allocated UIDs then you should consider keeping your old account, also if you ever need to do certified signed, or want to have your own develoepr certificate, then you would need a symbian signed accoutn still.

Regular Contributor

What is the use of Certified Signing? Would I require a Symbian Signed account for publishing at the Ovi store?

Nokia Developer Moderator

you could maybe check teh symbian signed site for different options for signings. Basically Ovi does nto do certified signings, thus if you require certified signings you would need to do it yourself. I would assume that Ovi store itself, would not require Symbian signed account though.

Regular Contributor

Which signing capability would be required to publish ads in a flash lite app playing media content? I haven't used any ad provider so far, so you can suggest some ad providers also along with signing capability, governing the decision whether I would require to hold my Symbian Signed account.

Super Contributor

Flash Lite content that you retrieve from the net dynamically for a Flash Lite app has no bearing whatsoever on Symbian signing, as it is not a Symbian/Qt app.

If you package the Flash Lite app in a .sis/.sisx file, then that file, of course, must be signed, but whether the contained Flash Lite shows ads and how it retrieves them is not relevant to the signing process.

Note that what ads and how you deliver them may have relevance to the distribution channel you choose for your Flash Lite app (i.e., Nokia might have something to say about it, if you wisht o distribute it via Ovi Store).