Discussion Board

Thumbs down Why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll?

Is there anybody who knows why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll? I'm from China, and was able to visit the http://www.callingallinnovators.com/10m/ website 2 months ago. But at that time, I just wanted to improve my app and enroll the program later. However, after 2 months work, I found that I could not visit this website, it is closed to China! I used a proxy to visit it and fill in the form but found that it has no options of China. It is opend to all over the world except China! Why?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thumbs down Why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll

Is there anybody who knows why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll? I'm from China, and was able to visit the http://www.callingallinnovators.com/10m/ website 2 months ago. But at that time, I just wanted to improve my app and enroll the program later. However, after 2 months work, I found that I could not visit this website, it is closed to China! I used a proxy to visit it and fill in the form but found that it has no options of China. It is opend to all over the world except China! Why?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll

The contest is organized following the US legislation (AFAIK) and as you can see from the contest rules there are many countries and territories excluded, for one reason or another.

Of course that does not explain your lack of access to the web site, you should look elsewhere for an explanation regarding that.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Why the calling all innovators program deny Chinese to enroll?

The contest is only for North America. There are other regional contest that North Americians were not allowed to enter. The very first sentence says...

Welcome to the 2010 Calling All Innovators – North America contest....

Ron

Does anyone suspect Great Chinese FireWall?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    The contest is only for North America. There are other regional contest that North Americians were not allowed to enter. The very first sentence says...

Welcome to the 2010 Calling All Innovators – North America contest....
    The contest is for content primarily for North America, but doesn't necessarily exclude contest entries from outside the North America (or making the content available elsewhere, too). Some countries are excluded (see below).

The rules say: "is offered and open to all persons the age of majority or older in their jurisdiction of residence, and business entities, who are registered as Ovi Publishers at the time of entry (“Eligible Entrant”)."

What's explicitely excluded in the rules: "The Developer Contest is void in Belgium, Brazil, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Norway, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey, Spain, Quebec (Canada), Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, Burma, Cuba, Iran, Libya, Malaysia, North Korea, Sudan, and any other country or area that is subject to a U.S. government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. government as a "terrorist supporting" country, and where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law. "

So, someone from China presumably cannot enter the contest, nor a Swedish publisher, but presumably a Finnish publisher can (unless for some reason U.S. has put Finland under U.S. government embargo, or as a "terrorist supporting" country). This is not implying that, e.g., Sweden is a "terrorist supporting" country, but doesn't say why countries like Sweden or Norway have been excluded, but not, e.g., Finland and Denmark.

A link to the rules are in #3.

Ah, I stand corrected. It is the intent of distribution that makes this a North America contest and not the nationality of the vendor. CAI Africa, CAI Asia were looking for localized apps for those areas this one is looking for AT&T device applications.

This was AT&T sponsored too so that may affect the list of countries that can participate. I did not see any restrictions in the Nokia CAI Africa rules.

Ron

Hi, my country is not excluded ans is listed from the list of countries when I try to register but I am being required to select a state that is based on USA/Canada.

Any help?

This is the statement from the contest operator:

Some countries present significant legal restrictions such that we have voided the contest to residents of those jurisdictions.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by zurcuer View Post
    Hi, my country is not excluded ans is listed from the list of countries when I try to register but I am being required to select a state that is based on USA/Canada.

Any help?
    If you don't find a solution promptly write me an e-mail I can forward on and provide as many details as possible.