Discussion Board

Question Problems with clock face images in Series 60 Carbide

I've created a Symbian^3 (640x360) theme and have customized the clock face image ("Face 1" component specifically). However, when testing the exported theme on the phone, the clock face image remains the default image.

For this component I've tried using a 100x112 svg image as well as an 84x7 svg image. I've also tried using pngs, jpgs, and gifs, with similar results.

Can the clock face be customized with this kind of theme, or is there something else I need to do to make the new image visible on the handset?

Re: Problems with clock face images in Series 60 Carbide

I am also curious about this, I've tried and tried to customise the clock but all to no avail, I always end up with the default image (although I have managed to change the colour)...I know this can be done as I've seen replacement clocks in various themes, I just can't seem to do this myself...

Regular Contributor

Hello,

for the desired modification, you can try Carbide.ui together with the N8 plug-in. Once you've installed the plug-in, go to "Create new theme", then select "N8" from the dropdown menu at the top of the screen, and "File → Save" the theme before you go on. Go to "Applications" → "Home Screen Icons" → "Home Screen". There you'll find "Home screen analog clock face", "Home screen analog clock pointer minutes" and "Home screen analog clock pointer hours" for editing. Works fine for the N8 and I assume for all other Symbian^3 handsets, too.

Thanks Le Pharao, found and edited the clock face but I've discovered another problem, down the right and left hand sides of the rectangle clock area I get a white band, and also when I click the clock area to get the time settings settings I have the clock face but no hands...any ideas?

Regular Contributor

Whoops. I just noticed that "Home screen analog clock face", etc. were already available when selecting "Symbian^3" from the dropdown-menu in Carbide.ui. So there's in fact no need to install the N8-plug-in concerning the homscreen clock. Sorry for all of you who installed it for nothing ;-) Hope you had fun editing the clock face, nevertheless.

Now to your question, Robiko: I tried to reproduce both problems and found out that they're caused by using bitmap graphics for the clock parts (either by copy-pasting them directly to Carbide.ui or by importing them via right-clicking and selecting "convert and edit in Bitmap editor"). The workaround would be to use SVG (vector) graphics fo the clock parts. Generally, I recommend using SVG graphics for all elements* in an S60 theme to avoid white lines/distortion, etc. Tools for creating SVG graphics would be Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, the latter one a free alternative downloadable from the web. As I don't know how skilled you are in vector and/or if you have a vector tool at hand right now, I uploaded some (very simple) clock faces you can import into Carbide.ui to test if they will solve your problem:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aiorj9oor2556lo

As for the clock hands, it's the same, you should create them as SVG graphics or "live" with the ones that come with Carbide.ui and just colour-change them by double-clicking their colour code ("#ffffff" by default) in the layers palette, which will open the colour picker.

*except for the main background graphics of course, as most users preferably want photos/digital artwork as a background which aren't properly reproducable in vector format
    Last edited by Le Pharao; 2011-02-02 at 18:59.

Thanks again, you were right, using SVG graphics solved the problem of the left\right banding. Regarding the N8 plug-in it is required as the "Home screen analog clock face" on the Symbian^3 setting only edits the clock face in the clock\alarm settings, the N8 plug-in allows editing of the clock face on the N8 home screen...