Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Web Developer Environment SDK

Hi,
    I have installed Nokia Web SDK. And got three tools (Nokia Web Developer Environment 1.1.0, Nokia Web SDK Simulator 1.1.0,Nokia Designer 1.1.0) this is similar to Aptana Studio for making Web Apps for Nokia Device (s40, s60, and Qt).
    Now when I follow the Nokia Designer help pdf i can make app using that. But I believe I can't make any dynamic interaction using Nokia Designer. I mean I can't take user input ( text ) or download files from server at run-time. This tool helps me to create some static flow using images.
    if I use Nokia Web Developer Environment , then I can make a dynamic app using Java-script and HTML.

Could you please tell me is there any way I would integrate the UI made by Nokia Designer to my Symbian C++ app?
    Or how can I take user input using this tool.

Please suggest me.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia Web Developer Environment SDK

Hi,

Nokia Designer is application prototyping tool. It is able to export the prototype UI as widget, so it can be used to gather feedback from testers. It is not meant to be used to build the actual applications.

When you start building your application, whether it is made with Symbian C++, Qt or as a WRT widget, you just leverage the input from your prototype testing. Then you should get the user experience on right track from the beginning.

Ps.
    The right forum for Web SDK related questions is
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...nology-Preview

-Ilkka

Nokia Developer Champion

Alright, you can move the thread to right dept.
    Well if I build the app in WGZ format will that work on S40 devices, or I need to WGT format. what is the difference between WGT and WGZ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    Hi,
    I have installed Nokia Web SDK. And got three tools (Nokia Web Developer Environment 1.1.0, Nokia Web SDK Simulator 1.1.0,Nokia Designer 1.1.0) this is similar to Aptana Studio for making Web Apps for Nokia Device (s40, s60, and Qt).
    Now when I follow the Nokia Designer help pdf i can make app using that. But I believe I can't make any dynamic interaction using Nokia Designer. I mean I can't take user input ( text ) or download files from server at run-time. This tool helps me to create some static flow using images.
    if I use Nokia Web Developer Environment , then I can make a dynamic app using Java-script and HTML.

Could you please tell me is there any way I would integrate the UI made by Nokia Designer to my Symbian C++ app?
    Or how can I take user input using this tool.

Please suggest me.
    Well if I build the app in WGZ format will that work on S40 devices, or I need to WGT format. what is the difference between WGT and WGZ?
    If you take a look at the develop-section, you can check the getting overview-getting started-tools-documentations-examples etc of all these things. All of such FAQs are usually answered there already in complete details. Here is a link example http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Web/Getting_started/

Super Contributor

I'm not sure that Series 40 based devices do support web run-time (WRT) apps at all. The latest Series 40 platform release seems to be Series 40 6th Edition Feature Pack 1, and the only device (C3-01 and X3-02) do not mention anything about WRT support in any form:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...er=s40_6ed_fp1

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    If you take a look at the develop-section, you can check the getting overview-getting started-tools-documentations-examples etc of all these things. All of such FAQs are usually answered there already in complete details. Here is a link example http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Web/Getting_started/
    I followed this while working with Aptana, can I use the same Tutorial for this also? I am very new to this so no idea.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I followed this while working with Aptana, can I use the same Tutorial for this also? I am very new to this so no idea.
    Quite frankly I do not know as I have not worked with it. But given that you have already worked with Aptana, you should know where to find resources and information related. Besides there is always this discussion board where you could search for already discussed topic.

And Petri already has some information for you to start with (you already have been directed to the device specifications page on several occasions in your various threads, so you know where to find that too)