Discussion Board

Thread: mail api?

mail api?

i was just about to make a widget (for s^3) that would list my most recent items in my mail inbox, but i couldn't find any api reference to fetching that info - is there really no support for this?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: mail api?

Unfortunately no. You would have to create your own plug-in to API bridge, if you want this functionality, but that would require some serious Symbian c++ knowledge.

Br,
    Ilkka

I am also trying to create an e-mail related WRT widget - surely we can't be the only people who would like a Mail platform service API? It would seem an obvious thing to have!

Is it at all likely that such functionality will be added to Symbian^3 in the future, given recent announcements?

I guess I could go for a server-side implementation and then have the WRT widget interface with that, but it shouldn't be needed if the device already has the functionality onboard...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bat400 View Post
    I am also trying to create an e-mail related WRT widget - surely we can't be the only people who would like a Mail platform service API? It would seem an obvious thing to have!
    Not that obvious apparently. The Platfrorm Services APIs offers a set of common functions but it was never intended to duplicate the entire OS functionality.
    Is it at all likely that such functionality will be added to Symbian^3 in the future, given recent announcements?
    No such plans AFAIK
    I guess I could go for a server-side implementation and then have the WRT widget interface with that, but it shouldn't be needed if the device already has the functionality onboard..
    This is a very good example of a very bad idea. If you spend a bit of time reading the three threads into which you have rushed to post your queries you will see that there are indeed better options that that.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    This is a very good example of a very bad idea. If you spend a bit of time reading the three threads into which you have rushed to post your queries you will see that there are indeed better options that that.
    Not really rushing ... just interested. In the end I'll go for which ever method is easiest for me with my current skillset. I have a lot of experience of server-side stuff on desktop apps, but I prefer not to go that way for mobile applications. If the documentation for doing it client-side was easier to work with I would definitely go for that. As an example, I have tried to find details of how I could use the E-Mail facilities in Symbian^3 C++ and have come up with not very much at all, not even an obvious API. I did find the old E-Mail MTM for early Symbian S60 but not a lot more recent. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for your help,
    Al