Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't install to test prior to publishing

Hi there,

I'm trying to publish my first app to Ovi which is written in Symbian C++. In order to get it signed for free I applied to Ovi Publish and received my UIDs and zip file containing the certificate, key and cert installer. I've updated my app to use one of the new UIDs provided by Nokia....... So far so good.

Now I would like to test the app before final submission so I installed the cert installer SIS file on my test phone and got a message saying "Success, Certificate added to database" or something similar.

Unfortunately, I'm now having an issue because I can't install the SIS for my app on my test phone. Trying to install the unsigned version of the app (SIS) results in "Certificate error. Contact the application supplier". Trying to install a version signed with the cert sent by Ovi Publish (SISX) results in "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier.

I'm clearly doing something wrong - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't install to test prior to publishing

Hi, I haven't used Nokia free signing yet (only Symbian signing), so I'm not quite sure about the procedure, you say you have updated your app with the new UID, but have you compliled your app using the cert/key pair? I thought that should be the way you can test on the devices which UID's you have sent (using the sisx, the signed version).
    Then the unsigned version (sis) is the one you have to send to OVI.

That's how I understand it (I may miss your point).

Another thing, when testing with a certificate, make sure the time on your mobile when installing the .sis is past the time on your computer when the .sis file was created. If it's not, you may have to wait a few minutes (otherwise you get a certificate error message).

Regular Contributor

You should sign sis file with cert and key sent by ovi publish. To prevent "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier." error , go to application manager -> settings and change setting "signed only" to "all".

Thanks dahiya.vinod.

I also thought that this may be the problem but my installation settings are already on "all" rather than "signed only".

So something else must be causing this problem.

Nokia Developer Moderator

you could try using signsis on command line to see what certificate(s) you have on that sis file. The "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier." comes when you are using selfsigning, thus I would assume you are using wrong certificate for the signing.

Could the "vendor" definition cause the problem?

the installation does not really check teh Vendor, thus you can go with the "Vendor" lines generated there normally, withuot changing them. Anyway, for Ovi publicing, you should change teh vendor information as defined in documentations.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is a really strange problem.

I used signsis on the command line to check what certificates are on the SISX file and it lists the cert that Ovi Publish sent to me as the primary. So I assume from this that the signing was successful.

The vendor in my PKG file is set to the name of my company. I believe this needs to be the same as the publisher name on your Ovi account.

Can you see any other certificates there ? basically they all would need to be valid for the installattion. Thus make sure you would have only the Ovi certificate. And once you only have only the one there, if it still gies problems. Then can you copy paste the certificate information here as well as what the error you are getting is still.

Sure. I do signsis -o and get just the one certificate:

Primary:
    Issued by OVI Publisher 12-31-2010.
    Issued to OVI.
    Valid from 31/12/2010 to 31/03/2011.

I then transfer the signed SISX file over to my phone with Bluetooth and on installation I get:

"Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier"

Thanks again for the help.

then all I can say is that you should contact the publicer support by email, and give them teh ifnormation you have given in here, and ask them so re-do the certificate. As far as I can see, it appears to be missing capabilities.

Anyway, did you indeed install the sis you got alongside the certificate into your device ?

try rebooting the phone

No joke, I have tried rebooting the phone to no avail.

Also installed the SIS that came with the certificate and get a "Success" message. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I assumed I was making a simple mistake here but perhaps the cert is corrupt somehow.

symbianyucca - you mention capabilities...

When you request the dev cert from Ovi Publish is it necessary to tell them what capabilities you need? If so, it didn't mention this in any of the documentation. I just passed them the IMEI number for my test phone,

I'm not official Ovi support person, thus I would not know excatly what their processes are, though I would assume that the Certificate should propably include all capabilities that can be used with teh program, i.e. the capabilities allowed to be used in the express signing.