Discussion Board

Is there a way to convert Maps Data from Nokia Maps 3 to be compatible with N Maps 2

Is there a way to convert Maps Data from Nokia Maps 3 to be compatible with Nokia Maps 2. All I need is the plain maps (streets etc) to work, dont need and 3D stuff and so. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Is there a way to convert Maps Data from Nokia Maps 3 to be compatible with N Map

No supported way as Nokia has not published their map/tile forma and protocols to access their servers, or how they structure the data locally.

Re: Is there a way to convert Maps Data from Nokia Maps 3 to be compatible with N Map

Hey Nokia, if any of your agents is checking this forum, please here my call: Please create a conversion tool, to convert maps data from Nokia Maps 3 to be compatible with Nokia Maps 2. How come a phone 1 year old to be already obsolete. Nokia 2710 "Navigation Editions" is turned out to be "Useless Edition". Yes it is cheap mobile but how you support your reputation. I am not so developly aware but am sure such conversion tool can be created for 2 hours or less, both N Maps 2 and N Maps 3 maps data have same extensions, which means they are not completely different, how come it cannot be converted even if it is not compatible.
    Just to clarify the things, the map data for N Maps 2 for my country is 7MB, and for N Maps 3 is 47MB, on the N Maps 2 my town is not listed at all, and on N Maps 3 the maps are detailed with even the small villages listed.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I'm almost certain that there would nto be any tool for conversions coming. The Maps 3 data propably is updated along side the additions that have come with it, thus it would be rather useless to go converting older data to be used. Thus simply use the maps uploader and load all necessary maps that you would need in latest format.

I cant upload the latest maps data which is Nokia Maps 3 data (which will be more than enough as they are very detailed already) to 2710 NE as they are not compatible with Nokia Maps 2 and the "latest" maps they have and offer me for Nokia Maps 2 are simply useless.
    I am sorry I cannot agree with you symbianyucca. This is like Mercedes-Benz to produce model of a car and after 1 year to tell you: sorry we do not support this model any more and we do not have any spare parts for it, there are new models, you can buy and use them.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I'm certain you can get it updated. Have you tried checking whether there is a firmware update that also includes new Map ? also have you simply tried using Ovi suite and deeing whether it offers you the old maps ?

Nope there is simply no way to update them. Nokia 2710 is S40 Model with Nokia OS and Nokia Maps 2 vesion. Nokia Maps 3 is designed for S60 Symbian OS and its maps data is not compatible with Nokia Maps 2 data. I have tried to update them with Ovi Suite and just there is show me the latest maps to be 7MB in size which is usless outdated version. My phone is updated with the latest firmware as Ovi Suite is check and prompting everytime when you open it. Even everywhere is showing data for NMaps 2 and 3 is not compatilble I have tried manually to overwrite the outdated NMaps 2 data with the updated NMaps 3 data, after that no map was shown at all - it seems they are really not compatilbe .