Discussion Board

listing the bluetooth devices

I want to search the devices nearby and show the list.
    The devices has been always searched and Whenever there is a new device, it will be added to the list and whenever a device is not nearby, it will be removed from the list.
    How can I do that?
    And which I should use?( for example, textfield, alert)

Super Contributor

Re: listing the bluetooth devices

Quote Originally Posted by gracy View Post
    I want to search the devices nearby and show the list.
    The devices has been always searched and Whenever there is a new device, it will be added to the list and whenever a device is not nearby, it will be removed from the list.
    How can I do that?
    And which I should use?( for example, textfield, alert)
    Please note that Because wireless devices are mobile they need a mechanism that allows them to find other devices and gain access to their capabilities. The core Bluetooth API's DiscoveryAgent class and DiscoveryListener interface provide the necessary discovery services.

A Bluetooth device can use a DiscoveryAgent object to obtain a list of accessible devices, in any of three ways:

The DiscoveryAgent.startInquiry method places the device into an inquiry mode. To take advantage of this mode, the application must specify an event listener that will respond to inquiry-related events. DiscoveryListener.deviceDiscovered is called each time an inquiry finds a device. When the inquiry is completed or canceled, DiscoveryListener.inquiryCompleted is invoked.

If the device doesn't wish to wait for devices to be discovered, it can use the DiscoveryAgent.retrieveDevices method to retrieve an existing list. Depending on the parameter passed, this method will return either a list of devices that were found in a previous inquiry, or a list of pre-known devices that the local device has told the Bluetooth Control Center it will contact often.

DiscoveryListener interface should be implemented for any bluetooth program written in Java.

Following are the methods that should be overridden while implementing the DiscoveryListener.

public void deviceDiscovered(RemoteDevice remoteDevice, DeviceClass deviceClass) - A device is discovered
    public void inquiryCompleted(int param) - Inquiry for bluetooth enabled and discoverable is completed
    public void serviceSearchCompleted(int transID, int respCode) - search for services of a discovered device completed
    public void servicesDiscovered(int transID,ServiceRecord[] serviceRecord) - a service is discovered for the device
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

There is no ready API that can be used to get such notification, you can build your own class by yourself. For example search devices time to time and check if it is found and if it is not found you can tell your UI to remove it from the list.

Nokia Developer Champion

gracy, because Symbian caches found Bluetooth devices you can forget that project.