Discussion Board

Accelerate Search geolocation(agps)

how to accelerate cold start gps receiver as it makes the standard program MAP. It connects with supl.nokiya.com. Gets the approximate coordinates of the base stations of mobile operator. Next it sends the data of GPS and the faster finding the exact coordinates. It seems this technology is called Agps. How such carried at?

I will be grateful for the help! Sorry for my english

Re: Accelerate Search geolocation(agps)

If you're a programmer the device should use A-GPS (Assisted GPS) automatically if it's available to get your location (IIRC you can choose to use it or not on purpose with low-level Symbian APIs).

If you're just asking how A-GPS works then this is the wrong place to ask but a simple Google search should tell you all you need to know.

I am a programmer. Only starting to develop the Symbian platform!

I thought I just use the NonSatellitePositioningMethods method. But on the emulator I have not noticed any difference with SatellitePositioningMethods. The program is not requested access to the Internet. Checked on the phone and there the effect is the same!

Last time I checked, GPS doesn't work with your real location on the emulator!

I think you may be confusing some technologies. OMA SUPL is not the same thing as A-GPS. A-GPS should just happen transparently if supported (network side as well as device side) - it's definitely a satellite positioning method, the network effectively just helps the GPS to find satellites faster.

WiFi positioning is an example of a non-satellite positioning method.

OMA SUPL can be both satelite (it can be used to deliver assistance data for A-GPS) and non-satellite (it can provide position by triangulation from cellular towers).

I don't know if 3rd party applications get to use Nokia's SUPL servers or not. To ask about things like that though, the Qt for Symbian API is not the issue - you should try this board instead:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...and-Navigation

QGeoPositionInfoSource * source = QGeoPositionInfoSource:: createDefaultSource ();
    if (source) {
    connect (source, SIGNAL (positionUpdated (QGeoPositionInfo)),
    this, SLOT (positionUpdated (QGeoPositionInfo)));
    source-> startUpdates ();
    }
    that is, using this code. Agps will be used automatically (unless of course the setting in the phone)?

OMA SUPL itself is not important! There are many unique services. It is important to self-understanding as knowing the approximate location of the find-a more accurate! To say a GPS system that we are like in Russia. Then he quickly determine which satellites I need to looking for is
    Last edited by Gdocal; 2011-01-11 at 11:58.