Discussion Board

how to detect flash for camera on 5230

hi, all
    i want to detect whether having camera flash on board or not on my device. i use the following codes:
    Code:

if( iCameraInfo.iFlashModesSupported & CCamera::EFlashAuto )
        iCamera->SetFlashL(CCamera::EFlashAuto);
    to my surprise, the above will run on 5230 without error, but the viewfinder frame will not show up.
    but it works perfectly on 5800, so i printed the iCameraInfo.iFlashModesSupported integer on 5230 and 5800 respectively, and i got the same integer 139 in decimal. based on that, i guess this apporach could not meet my needs.

plz tell me how can i know if there is a flash for camera.

Re: how to detect flash for camera on 5230

Quote Originally Posted by pcsxk View Post
    Code:

if( iCameraInfo.iFlashModesSupported & CCamera::EFlashAuto )
        iCamera->SetFlashL(CCamera::EFlashAuto);
    to my surprise, the above will run on 5230 without error, but the viewfinder frame will not show up.
    but it works perfectly on 5800, so i printed the iCameraInfo.iFlashModesSupported integer on 5230 and 5800 respectively, and i got the same integer 139 in decimal. based on that, i guess this apporach could not meet my needs.
    Hi,

It sounds like TCameraInfo::iFlashModesSupported is not working correctly. However, have you tried simply TRAPping the call to SetFlashL? SetFlashL leaving with code KErrNotSupported might well be the reason of viewfinder not working, if you request start viewfinder after the call...

If the TRAP doesn't help, or you really need to know supported flash modes (other than whether EFlashAuto works), you could try handling the flash setting through CCameraAdvancedSettings (FlashModesSupported() and SetFlashMode()). In that case, CCamera needs to be instantited using New2L.

first of all, thank u, TongMuan.
    however, unfortunately, i have to tell you honestly, the hints you metioned were still not working.
    when i
    TRAPping the call to SetFlashL
    on 5230, the phone would become very slow(no response to end user) but without errors occured. it seemed like the phone was doing a great deal of calculate on ui thread.

as for CCameraAdvancedSettings::FlashModesSupported() and CCameraAdvancedSettings::SetFlashMode, i found they worked the same as TCameraInfo::iFlashModesSupported and CCamera::SetFlashL() respectively. besides, i tested the value of CCameraAdvancedSettings::GetSupportedAFAssistantLightL() on 5230 and 5800, but both of them shown the same integer 3 in decimal. hence, they did mean the current camera supported EAFAssistantLightManualOn(0x01) and EAFAssistantLightAuto(0x02).

p.s.
    i instantited CCamera using New2L.

anyone got a better idea?
    Last edited by pcsxk; 2011-01-12 at 07:03.

somebody help me, please
    Last edited by pcsxk; 2011-01-14 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsxk View Post
    As for CCameraAdvancedSettings::FlashModesSupported() and CCameraAdvancedSettings::SetFlashMode, i found they worked the same as TCameraInfo::iFlashModesSupported and CCamera::SetFlashL() respectively.
    It sounds like the flash related functionality in camera API is seriously broken on 5230. You could create a bug report for Nokia, and maybe a moderator can move this thread to Media (Graphics & Sounds). In the Media board you might get confirmation or suggestions from someone "inside" - at least janza seems knowledgeable about camera issues.

If you really need to get the app working right now on 5230 in addition to devices where correct data is returned for supported flash modes, you could make an ugly hack where you check the device's machine id, and if matches 5230's id, you'll simply skip the detection and assume no flash support.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    If you really need to get the app working right now on 5230 in addition to devices where correct data is returned for supported flash modes, you could make an ugly hack where you check the device's machine id, and if matches 5230's id, you'll simply skip the detection and assume no flash support.
    right now, i have to achieve my goal via ur suggestion.
    but thanx a lot