Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Future of Symbian Signed

Hi,

My TC publisher ID has just expired. At this point I am trying to decide how to proceed with publishing, since there are now two options:

1. Get the new TC publisher ID and resume with Symbian Signed. The question here is weather Symbian Signed will remain in place much longer after the demise of Symbian. If Symbian Signed disappears, my investment in a publisher ID is basically waste of money.

2. The other option is Nokia's free signing. There are two issues with this - first many people have complained that this takes extraordinarily long to set up and also apparently signing extends QA. Perhaps more importantly, I may not be able to use existing UIDs so app upgrades may become problematic.

So, this comes down to:

Q1) Will Symbian Signed be around for another year?

Q2) If I use Nokia free signing, can I use my existing UIDs allocated via Symbian Signed?

Q3) How long does it typically take to set up free signing?

Thanks,
    Ivan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Future of Symbian Signed

I would find it rather peculiar that Symbian signed would disappear in next years time, even if it would, older devices would still be using platform security, thus I don't see that really happening..

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I would find it rather peculiar that Symbian signed would disappear in next years time, even if it would, older devices would still be using platform security, thus I don't see that really happening..
    Hi symbianyucca,

Thanks for your comment. Perhaps my questions come from the lack of clarity on Symbian Signed future. There is no official statement I am aware of to the effect that SS will continue to exist.

Also, it would be great to know if I can use my existing UIDs + how long it takes for free signing set up.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Symbian signed is not offering any Free signings (except for development usage), if any other party is offering free signing services, then if they are using their own publicer ID, then you must use the UIDs allocated for them.