Discussion Board

Show user location in OVI maps from the J2me application

How to show the user location in Ovi maps by ginving the GPS coordinates obtained by the location API in j2me. I want to open the OVI map from within the application.

Super Contributor

Re: Show user location in OVI maps from the J2me application

Nokia has not published any APIs/interfaces to use/launch Ovi Maps from a j2me MIDlet.

Thanks so much Petrib for the confirmation!
    But I want to know is there any way to find out the user location offline from the j2me application?

I am able to do the above online and it's working fine.But do not have any idea of offline.
    So if you have any idea, Please guide me..

Thanks & regards,
    Ajit

Super Contributor

With a built-in GPS receiver in the phone, or an external Bluetooth GPS receiver, you can use JSR-179 APIs to get the position without a network connection. Note that without a network connection, there is no A-GPS (Assisted-GPS) that allows a faster (network assisted) lock on the position, so it might take a while for the GPS receiver to pick up where exactly it is.

Thanks for your reply Petrib!
    My concern is not about the GPS because I am aware about the GPS buy my concern is about the displaying maps offline from the application after getting the GPS coordinates.
    If you have any idea how to show the maps offline from the application then Please guide me....

Thanks & Regards,
    Ajit

Super Contributor

You need to get the maps from somewhere and load the on the phone. Nokia/Ovi Maps does that, but you can't use it, as stated earlier.

Google Maps, I think, only supports online maps (loaded from the net as needed), so you can't use it, either.

You can try free stuff like OpenMap ( http://www.openmap.org/ ) but what the coverage is, I don't know.

Then you can go to a commercial service, such as NAVTEQ (a fully owned subsidiary of Nokia) or TeleAtlas (owned by TomTom who supplies the maps also to Nokia/Ovi Maps, Google Maps, and also other navigator product makers (TomTom, Garmin, Sony, Navigon, etc.). That won't be free, though.

Super Contributor

also if you want to see your position offline then you will have to locally have the needed maps... That means that you should be looking for some kind of map provider which gives you the option to download the maps into the phones memory...
    The problem with this is that you simply won't be able to attach those maps to your app when it's downloaded (immagine a JAR of 600 megabytes !!!), so you might want to implement some type of caching of maps...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hey, maybe it's a bit late.
    Now OVI Maps has release its OVI Maps Rendering API. you could easily show map on your application by calling this API. for details, you can read in here: https://projects.forum.nokia.com/ovimapsrenderingapi