Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OviStore - Wishlist from publishers

1. Compare app description in Ovi Store with Apple's App Store.

Ovi forces to create square screen shots what makes apps look ugly, because they are designed for screens with 4:3 or 5:3 ratio (or some other). It's never a square (1:1 ratio), so app screen shots look awful. Not to mention that in Apple's App Store screens are full sized, while Ovi forces to create very tiny screen shots where user can't see anything.

App description in Ovi Store is very short compared to Apple's App Store.

2. Ovi Store doesn't allow localized screens. For any localized version user would see English screen shots (most probably you'd use English language for screens) . And that's confusing. Simply by looking at screen shots user doesn't know if app is fully localized or not (because often only description in Ovi Store is translated but not an app itself).

3. There is no link to publisher web-site from Ovi store app page. So there is no way for user to get any additional info about the app that he is interested in. App Store, on the other hand, allows link to the app's web site.
    ---
    There is no rational explanations for limitations like these.

So.

Are you ready to buy an app that looks ugly on screen shots, that has a very short description, when there is no link to support (app) web site and when there is no info about level of app localization for your language? Yeah, right.

This deserves a bump, don't you think?

OviPersons: Get involved!

Mats Hillborg
    Autophonics - The Creator of MusAic

Quote Originally Posted by mazebo View Post
    This deserves a bump, don't you think?

OviPersons: Get involved!

Mats Hillborg
    Autophonics - The Creator of MusAic
    Yes, I agree. In fact I've just written a blog about Ovi Store in which I mention a few of the issues I have with it. Please feel free to add more thought as I think Ovi Store has the potential to be much better.

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Nice job Sasler!!
    I wish more would speak out about the atrocious service/professionalism around here...
    Alas, considering Ovi staff cant bother to even respond to this post, on their own forum, I doubt they will give your blog a second thought...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Regular Contributor

@Sasler: Good blog post.

Regular Contributor

It could be nice to have one representative from Nokia (publisher-ovi-QA-responsible-forum expert ... you name it.. who is behind ovi store stuff), who at least can easily answer 50% of the topics in this forum.
    There is no more than one new topic per day is posted on this forum, +every nokia event/trainig has a big focus to ovi store and it (nokia) developers. WHY SILENCE ON THIS FORUM? It is very easy to spend 15 minutes per day and satisfy 20-50 new developer who is visiting this forum for same and same problems...

Thanks Jon and lukiluuk

Some of the "issues" of Ovi Store that I've mentioned in my blog, have been apparently fixed now, at least according to this. Namely, the issue of Qt with Symbian^3.

I wonder if I should resubmit my Qt Symbian app again, so that it would work fine in Symbian^3? And what would happen with the non-Qt duplicate?

Cheers

PS. In this direct link there is less info about Qt and Symbian^3. Strange.

Thanks for the update Sasler!
    How sad that I have to read about this great information second hand, on a blog post, instead of a publisher alert or simple email from Ovi...
    As far as the 2 content items (Qt and Symbian) I would wait for a bit before doing anything if I were you.
    Before Ovi discovered the bug I had just one Qt item up on the store and somehow people with N8's were able to find and download my app. When I questioned Ovi about the need for the second content item they of course ignored my question but did tell me that the two content items would only be temporary and to be sure that I don't edit the new Symbian content they created. They didn't say what would happen if I did edit it, but you how things can go around here...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12