Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smart installer and Ovi Store app problems

I keep getting bad app reviews from people frustrated by installing my Qt app. They pay for the app, then pay for the long Qt download which appears to somehow fail to finish or fail to install.

Of course, most come to the app page and vent their anger, call me (the developer) a thief, and call my app a fraud. I have no way of helping them overcome the situation, since there is no way to contact them or reply to "reviews".

I reported several comments to Ovi, but there was never any action taken - all my reports were ignored. No response from Ovi publisher support .

Many people are experiencing the same problem judging from the forum here. Needless to say, one such comment immediately kills sales and has immediate financial impact.

Is there any action planned to rectify this situation? Since it is unlikely I'll get anything official from Ovi, perhaps other publishers have suggestions on how to deal with this?

Regular Contributor

Re: Smart installer and Ovi Store app problems

Well, one calls us "losers" as a result of failed download (Symbian in this case), this is borderline abuse, moreover as publishers we have nothing to do with the download (and it kills me to think that the same person probably did succeed in downloading the game after writing the comment, and may even like it).
    I don't think it has such an impact though, as most games/apps have such comments (it doesn't make it more acceptable, I know, OVI has many ways to prevent that, we talked about it here).

Regular Contributor

I agree that bad review kills future app sale immediately. There should definitely be a way for a buyer to interact with the developer - may be even an anonymous chat on ovistore would be helpful
    Blog: http://nmamobiles.byethost2.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by rajan.mba View Post
    I agree that bad review kills future app sale immediately. There should definitely be a way for a buyer to interact with the developer - may be even an anonymous chat on ovistore would be helpful
    It will be nice but all download problems simple can't happen !

Ovi store should handle all download stuff. In case user download qt app ovi store should download latest qt app and not our application.

I know that it don't handle individual distribution of application but we can always embed smart installer in application.

Whole download/update procedure is frustration for users and developers and killing NOKIA image.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rajan.mba View Post
    +1. I fully agree with this, there needs to be a way for 2way communication between dev and user!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

I've got a question in devoloping qt apps. I used in my app Qt Mobility - what should I do to assure downloaders that they cuold use my app without any probems - they won't have to download any libraries. I would like that everything what is needed to start my app was entirely in it. Customer downloads my app and he is happy using it...

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by radeknati View Post
    I've got a question in devoloping qt apps. I used in my app Qt Mobility - what should I do to assure downloaders that they cuold use my app without any probems - they won't have to download any libraries. I would like that everything what is needed to start my app was entirely in it. Customer downloads my app and he is happy using it...
    Your problem with this goal is:

Not all devices that Qt is supported on, have Qt or Qt Mobility preinstalled.

Using Nokia Smart Installer helps, but then the users have to allow Smart Installer to download any missing bits, or newer versions of bits your app depends on, but of which the phone only has an older/earlier version.

You could also add all the required installers into your own installation file, but then your installation file will become huge, and is not allowed in Ovi Store (which requires you to use Smart Installer for Symbian based Qt apps).

So, your only way to satisfy this momentarily is to, e.g., only support the Qt/Qt Mobility versions that come preinstalled on Symbian^3 based devices, and only support those Symbian^3 devices (e.g., N8) and no other models: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...ilter=symbian3

Note that firmware updates to those devices will most likely upgrade Qt and cause additional problems for you (e.g., if the device has been updated to Qt 4.7.1 or later, and your app package tries to install an older version, or doesn't for some reason work with the newer version).

So, there's no perfect solution. Use Smart Installer and make sure your users know that it may require that the app installation downloads additional stuff from the net.

Or switch to developing in Java or use Symbian C++/S60 APIs instead of Qt.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    So, there's no perfect solution. Use Smart Installer and make sure your users know that it may require that the app installation downloads additional stuff from the net.
    In a word, don't waste your time trying to develop for Nokia phones. Whatever you do, Nokia will find a way to make it really awkward, unworkable and ultimately to destroy any possibility of building a business from developing apps.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MWillits View Post
    In a word, don't waste your time trying to develop for Nokia phones. Whatever you do, Nokia will find a way to make it really awkward, unworkable and ultimately to destroy any possibility of building a business from developing apps.
    That's a bit harsh...

In fact, there are small things, easily done, that can make a world of difference. Take this problem with reviews - all you need to do is want to fix it. There are many ways:

1. Do not allow reviews if app is not installed
    2. Provide support email if installation fails

Ovi could also provide a way for publisher to respond to reviews or help the user in some way. End users should be able to edit their reviews once they manage to install. There are so many simple but effective ways to foster a positive, friendly community. Ebay is a good example of such a "system".

For me the most worrying bit is that there are no replies from Ovi. Are they at least aware of the issue? Are there any plans for improving this?

Anyway, I just had another one of those nasty reviews (in fact Ovi app / smart installer problem again) on my brand new app. It remains to be seen, but it looks like I'll regret investing so much time in developing, testing signing...
    Last edited by ivanlitovski; 2011-01-17 at 22:07.

Regular Contributor

So, according to my last post, all devices listed here

http://www.forum.nokia.com/search/se...echnology%3Aqt

will cooperate with Qt and download additionally libraries if needed?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by radeknati View Post
    So, according to my last post, all devices listed here

http://www.forum.nokia.com/search/se...echnology%3Aqt

will cooperate with Qt and download additionally libraries if needed?
    In theory.

In practice, something misfires every once in a while. In case of an error in downloading or installing some components, things seem to go quite wrong. And download failures do happen, especially when you are on a mobile network... If you have few thousand downloads per day, it is unsurprising that there are considerable number of failures.

Super Contributor

And if one uses Smart Installer, then that's what should happen. Of all those devices listed supporting Qt, only the Symbian^3 based devices (and the N900, which is maemo/Debian Linux based) come with some version of Qt preinstalled from the factory.